One in the chamber? Or not!! - Page 17
Page 17 of 36 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: One in the chamber? Or not!!

I carry with one in the pipe I draw my weapon "indexing" to prevent any accidents.

gpbarth Guest
    With my Springfield XD40, there is no manual safety, per se. But between the double trigger and the grip safety, this baby ain't going off unless I have a good grip in it and aimed at someone. Always one in the pipe, and that also gives me 13 shots before changing mags.

I know all the points about forgetting to deactivate the safety under stress... They are very true. Your brain/body will go on automatic. (reflex) Physical/Mental training can (and does), if done properly, modify your reflexes.

In my opinion, If I forgot to turn off a safety, under any circumstance, it would be because I didn't practice enough. I'm not discounting the fact that stress can mess with our minds. I'm encouraging exhaustive training and practice.

I believe it is each of our own responsibility to be intimately familiar with our weapons, to the point of being able to master all aspects of the weapon, including field stripping, reassembling, loading, unloading, safety on/off, point/aim/fire, etc... "in our sleep". practice practice practice. Not following a safety procedure, solely because we are not confident that we can operate the weapon under any circumstance is teetering on the edge of negligence.

Most important is RESPONSIBILITY/SAFETY.
    Last edited by HillBilly; 11-21-2008 at 08:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HillBilly View Post
    I know all the points about forgetting to deactivate the safety under stress... They are very true. Your brain/body will go on automatic. (reflex) Physical/Mental training can (and does), if done properly, modify your reflexes.

In my opinion, If I forgot to turn off a safety, under any circumstance, it would be because I didn't practice enough. I'm not discounting the fact that stress can mess with our minds. I'm encouraging exhaustive training and practice.

I believe it is each of our own responsibility to be intimately familiar with our weapons, to the point of being able to master all aspects of the weapon, including field stripping, reassembling, loading, unloading, safety on/off, point/aim/fire, etc... "in our sleep". practice practice practice. Not following a safety procedure, solely because we are not confident that we can operate the weapon under any circumstance is teetering on the edge of negligence.

Most important is RESPONSIBILITY/SAFETY.
    My safety procedure is finger off the triger until I am ready to shoot. Always a round is chambered. As far as I am concerned if there is no round in the chamber it is only half way loaded.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

Quote Originally Posted by Glockster20 View Post
    I carry with one in the pipe I draw my weapon "indexing" to prevent any accidents.

Thats actually the proper drawing technique, safety or no safety. If you carry your pistol in a serpa holster, the holster design actually forces you to draw with the finger along the slide, where it should be.
    Last edited by tattedupboy; 11-22-2008 at 02:17 AM.

7. in the pipe

I always carry with one in the pipe.my Keltec PF-9 is DOA only,so it is just like a revolver.My Taurus 24/7 PRO has a striker block,and external safety.(I feel safer carring the keltec though,knowing that it isn't cocked,& has a hammer block).
    Was always told that if a situation arose,the less I need to do,or think about doing,the better off i'll be.

To me, weapons are either loaded or not. All my self defense weapons are loaded and ready to fire. Loaded means chambered. I think the weapon should be chosen to be 'safe' (if a ready to fire weapon can ever be considered such) when all it takes is pulling the trigger to make it fire. I have trained my kid that if a weapon is out if its case, it is ready to fire. If in the case, it still needs to be treated that way until proven different.

As to getting 'used to it' simply train that way. Carry it on your hip around the house; draw it and get used to keeping your finger off the trigger. I have even gone so far as to throw it on the ground (while ducking behind cover) to see what it will do. After a while, you get confident and knowledgable about the parameters of the weapon.
    - FreedomsAdvocate
    Citizenship ought to be reserved for those who carry arms. - Aristotle
    My latest article on Associated Content

Quote Originally Posted by chad pf-9 View Post
    I always carry with one in the pipe.my Keltec PF-9 is DOA only,so it is just like a revolver.My Taurus 24/7 PRO has a striker block,and external safety.(I feel safer carring the keltec though,knowing that it isn't cocked,& has a hammer block).
    Was always told that if a situation arose,the less I need to do,or think about doing,the better off i'll be.
    Welcome to USA Carry, Chad pf-9. Those are a couple of nice guns you have there. What else do you have?

P.S. You make some good points.
    Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

Benjamin Franklin

1 in the pipe

I always carry with one chambered. If something happens and you need to chamber a round, that may be all it takes for the BG to get the advantage. Practice draw drills with an unloaded gun. Make sure your finger stays off of the trigger until your sights are on the target. Have a good holster and a quality firearm.
    Train, train train,and then train some more. We practice golf, bowling, and other hobbys, but when it comes to protecting yourself, very few practice what it takes to survive. A lower golf score may be more important to someone than his life, but not me. If you are not sure whether you can control yourself with one in the chanber, I would more than suggest you not carry at all. Negligent fires are just that. Negligent. Practice and become proficient, then confidence will find its way to you.
    Only my opinion. No more.

11. Quote Originally Posted by tattedupboy View Post
    Welcome to USA Carry, Chad pf-9. Those are a couple of nice guns you have there. What else do you have?

P.S. You make some good points.
    not too much else,I have 20,& 12 guage crack barrel shot guns.A Mossberg 12 GA pump,Ruger 10/22-.22 rifile,& Daisey(Yes Daisey,the BB gun company)bolt action youth .22 rifile. & a SKS rifile.
    Looking to get a decent high power hunting rifle next.

Page 17 of 36 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast