One in the chamber? Or not!! - Page 25
Page 25 of 36 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

Thread: One in the chamber? Or not!!

1. I must be old school, every handgun I own is a single action. If I'm not carrying my handgun is in my work truck. Everyone I work with knows this and many times co-workers have 'borrowed' it to shoot a varmint. At one time I carryed a semi-auto, to many people would borrow it and forget to empty the chamber or forget to put the saftey on. I traded it for a single action, the cylinders are always full. Dave

if one in the chamber is uncomfortable, get a double action revolver

4. yes, always one in the tube; double-action ready to go -

If I'm not going to have one in the chamber then I'm not going to carry, there won't be time to rack one in when its Life or Death and Seconds count. The key is learn the fundamentals of your Firearm and Practice,Practice,Practice until you are comfortable with your Firearm the Life you save may be your Wife,Mother,brother,Father,Child or even your own. I always carry HOT one in the Tube and 10 in the Magazine. You have to be prepared to Defend yourself against the BG because basically you are the only Defense you and your Family have, Remember the Police are only minutes away. Who is going to help you until they can get to you? Member of Georgia Carry.Org

Absolutely- 1 in the chute, and no empty cylinders. If I ever need my gun, chances are good that I will need it RIGHT NOW, and don't want to die while racking the slide or trying to index the cylinder - I want BOOM when I pull the trigger.
    When it comes to handguns, there are Sig Sauers, then there's everything else.

7. +1 on one in the pipe

I just started carrying a 1911 handgun in January. Previously I had a Taurus PT145 that I carried with one in the chamber, so I trusted my 1911 cocked and locked. I keep the thumb safety on, although I would trust it without, but I have practiced my draw so that my thumb is always on top of the safety, and by the time it is out of the holster, the safety is already off.
    However you decide to carry, practice, practice, practice.

Talking Since we are on the topic!

I always laugh at hollywood movies when they show the actors of action movies checking their magazines for ammo before the firefight. Or when they are carrying a hammerless semi-auto(glock) and make that click noise when they draw as if they are pulling the hammerback. Or even when they are threatening a bad guy who refuses to talk and then they rack the slide to show they are serious, hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Gay Al View Post
    With only one exception, all the pistols that I might carry have manual safeties. I have found no difference in the time it takes to draw and shoot with these, than it does with the one I have that doesn't have a safety. When I draw to shoot, the safety is off before the gun is lining up on the target. No lost nano-seconds here. :)
    Have you drawn and fired under life threatening stress? As far back as Fairbairn & Sykes trainers have recommended removing manual safeties from SD weapons as their presence are a primary cause of FTF and ND under stress due to confusion about whether the safeties are on or off.
    Another thing trainers will pound into your head is practice with what you carry and don't switch between guns with different controls. Either carry ones with safeties or carry ones without but not both
    Quote Originally Posted by thedoc96 View Post
    What concerns me is this. Police officers (two) here in the Great State of Indiana have told me that carrying chambered is against the law.
    It appears both were morons. So a fair response would be is "Well officer my guess is than you will need to arrest me as we know only an idiot would carry a gun unchambered" or "Officer if you could please show me that law I'd be happy to comply."
    Those who would, deny, require permit, qualification, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Quote Originally Posted by LongRider View Post
    Have you drawn and fired under life threatening stress? As far back as Fairbairn & Sykes trainers have recommended removing manual safeties from SD weapons as their presence are a primary cause of FTF and ND under stress due to confusion about whether the safeties are on or off.
    Another thing trainers will pound into your head is practice with what you carry and don't switch between guns with different controls. Either carry ones with safeties or carry ones without but not both
    It's been almost 30 years, but I did once. The pistol I had then was a Colt MkIV series 70 Gov't Model. I now wish I'd kept it, but after I got it back from the police, I sold it.
    Big Gay Al: Big Gay Al's Big Gay (Gun) Blog
    An unarmed person speaking of the benefits of gun control is like a
    eunuch speaking about the benefits of sexual abstinence.

I would rather walk down the street without clothing on, than without my pistol on. I ALWAYS carry cocked and locked. If I need my gun, I am NOT going to have the leisure to jack a round in... As for the safety question, all of my pistols have built in safeties, and I have an even better one - right between my ears. I have been known, if I know I'm going to be in a 'questionable' area, to reach down and slip the manual safety OFF. Do I think that makes my gun unsafe? No. Because I always act as if the gun doesn't HAVE a safety, and is loaded.

So, in answer to your question, YES, always one up the spout. And remember, the best safety your gun has, is your brain, and your 'training'.

Page 25 of 36 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast