One in the chamber? Or not!! - Page 3
Page 3 of 36 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: One in the chamber? Or not!!

My Makarov rides with one in the chamber, mag topped off, safety off. It's a long but smooth double action pull for the first shot, and that's plenty safety for me.

The Mak has passed drop tests where the pistol is dropped on the barrel exit from several feet up. The firing pin is safe not to go off in this situation, so I feel fine about carrying one in the chamber.

'Course, this is all said elsewhere. Please guys, don't jump all over Zig when/if she posts that she carries unchambered. Please see the 'brandishing' thread in the Law subsection.
    Truth is mighty and will prevail. There is nothing the matter with this, except that it ain't so.

-Mark Twain

I carry my guns as they were designed to be carried.

1911 A1 .45 cocked and locked.
    Ek-chewally, I believe Professor Browning designed his Masterpiece to be carried safely in Condition 1: One up the pipe and the thumb safety off..."Cocked and unlocked". "Cocked & Locked" constitutes Condition 2 and is fine for those who desire that extra level of safety, but the grip safety is there for that very reason - to provide that last element of safety while being carried while allowing the sidearm to be drawn and fired in an instant without any further conscious removal of safeties in the process.
    NRA Life; GOA Life; CCRKBA Life; Trustee, NJCSD; F&AM: 32 & KT
    The Only Answer to a Bad Guy with a Gun - Is a Good Guy with a Gun!
    When Seconds Count...The Police are only MINUTES Away!

When I first started carrying, I used to carry Mexican style without a round in the chamber, but also without the safety being on. When I began using holsters, I began carrying with a round in the chamber with the safety on. At all times I was aware of the pros and cons and I decided that it was best for me to carry in a holster (I use a SmartCarry in the summer and and OWB paddle holster in colder weather) with a round in the chamber.

5. We did leave 870s X3 on wall of vault with 4 rounds none chambered.

6. Quote Originally Posted by JC40 View Post
    I personally always carry with one in the chamber,....Besides,an unloaded gun is only good for a paper weight and you only have one chance to throw it at your attacker.:D
    I agree. Not trying to defame or to be mean, but a rock would be better to carry, in my opinion, than an unchambered gun. The rock is cheaper, and the purpose would be the same (less loss from throwing the rock).

But to keep this constructive, find a gun you are comfortable carrying correctly. A lot of people think my Glock is unsafe carried at all, because they don't like Glocks. However, I am 100% comfortable with it. With all of the options out there, everyone should be able to find their comfortable weapon.
    No freeman shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    ---Thomas Jefferson: Draft Virginia Constitution, 1776.

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    ---Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759.

Quote Originally Posted by GregRN View Post
    I agree. Not trying to defame or to be mean, but a rock would be better to carry, in my opinion, than an unchambered gun. The rock is cheaper, and the purpose would be the same (less loss from throwing the rock).

But to keep this constructive, find a gun you are comfortable carrying correctly. A lot of people think my Glock is unsafe carried at all, because they don't like Glocks. However, I am 100% comfortable with it. With all of the options out there, everyone should be able to find their comfortable weapon.
    Big + 1

Tarzan
    1 Timothy 5:8

"But if any aprovide not for his own, and specially for those of his own house, he hath denied the faith, and is worse than an infidel."

8. Every police agency I know of and every top instructor teach carrying a LOADED weapon.

Good post GregRN!

ALWAYS carry! ~ NEVER tell!

Quote Originally Posted by Ektarr View Post
    Ek-chewally, I believe Professor Browning designed his Masterpiece to be carried safely in Condition 1: One up the pipe and the thumb safety off..."Cocked and unlocked". "Cocked & Locked" constitutes Condition 2 and is fine for those who desire that extra level of safety, but the grip safety is there for that very reason - to provide that last element of safety while being carried while allowing the sidearm to be drawn and fired in an instant without any further conscious removal of safeties in the process.
    This is the way I learned 1911 condition carry levels;
    Condition 0 - A round is in the chamber, hammer is cocked, and the safety is off.

Condition 1 - Also known as "cocked and locked," means a round is in the chamber, the hammer is cocked, and the manual thumb safety on the side of the frame is applied.

Condition 2 - A round is in the chamber and the hammer is down.

Condition 3 - The chamber is empty and hammer is down with a charged magazine in the gun.

Condition 4 - The chamber is empty, hammer is down and no magazine is in the gun.
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself."
    (George Washington)

http://www.helprebekah.com./

10. Three different carry pistols, depending upon occassion. Full magazine, one in the chamber, safety on . . . yes, at the very beginning I did feel uneasy. After a time, you do realize and feel comfortable when you realize that the safety does do exactly what it was designed for. :D

one in chamber, da mode, no safety on eather of my carry guns,

R58

Page 3 of 36 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast