One in the chamber? Or not!! - Page 32
Page 32 of 36 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast

Thread: One in the chamber? Or not!!

If one has to ask if they should carry a round in the chamber or not, maybe they should put the gun on the floor and Step Away from the Firearm!!!

3. Quote Originally Posted by LDaniel View Post
    If one has to asked if they should carry a round in the chamber or not, maybe they should put the gun on the floor and Step Away from the Firearm!!!

Bing!
    Igitur qui desiderat pacem praeparet bellum. . .Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis. . . .Nemo me impune lacessit . . .Veritas vos Liberabit. . . .ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ! . . . .Write, speak, do!

The way I look at it is this, it will depend on how comfortable you are with one in the chamber. How long do you think you will have if you need to rack one if you need your gun. Think about it, does run gun have a safety or is it like a Glock and Springfield etc... I personally dont have one chambered and hope to hell I have time to rack one in if I need it. This is my choice, may not be the right one but I hope so. Good Luck with your decision

5. I'd carry with one chambered. If I carried a SA-only gun, I'd either carry cocked with the safety on or hammer down with the safety off. You don't need to be worrying about thumbing two different mechanisms before you fire.

When I first started carrying, I felt uneasy having the firearm with me. I had this hunk of iron on my hip that could cause great damage to people. I thought, what if all of a sudden I were to go bonkers and I have this gun with me. I got a bit paranoid. I soon got over it and i am very relaxed with it. and I feel naked if I leave the house without it.

When I moved into my Townhouse, my brother in law, a local LEO, told me that a &^%$ was robbing people at the complex. He would wait for them to pull up into their driveway and catch them while they are getting out of the car. I wondered if I could draw and get "the drop on him" or even if necessary, fire at him before he knew what was going on. Now, if I didn't have one in the chamber, I might have time to drop to my knees, start crying and tell him to take what he wants.

Also, without one in the chamber you will need two hands to operate your firearm. What if the BG has already grabbed one of your arms?

8. Quote Originally Posted by AvidshooterTX View Post
    Also, without one in the chamber you will need two hands to operate your firearm. What if the BG has already grabbed one of your arms?
    Excellent point. Maybe rack the slide on the heel of your boot or running shoe, on your belt, on the ground. May mar the gun but at least you'll have a round chambered and maybe you won't have been knifed or shot while trying to rack the slide.

I know this example is from a movie but I have had occasion to actually train with this move and it can not be done if you must rack your slide to engage the target.

Gun in one's face, close quarters. Just can't leave that gun sticking in one's face. Have to get rid of it. Two arms and hands, one for the gun, one for racking the slide, wait a minute, hmmmmm, maybe head butt the gun. There, that'll do it. My personal choice in this scenario is to sweep left and up with my left arm as I draw and engage target with my right rather than sweeping the perps gun across my face or body. But, hey, it's a movie. Probably not a good example, it is just pretend after all.
    Igitur qui desiderat pacem praeparet bellum. . .Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis. . . .Nemo me impune lacessit . . .Veritas vos Liberabit. . . .ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ! . . . .Write, speak, do!

Quote Originally Posted by gvaldeg1 View Post
    ... a concerned citizen, upon noticing the big 1911, hammer cocked holstered on Texas Ranger Charlie Miller's belt, asked, "Isn't that dangerous?" Ranger Miller replied, "I wouldn't carry the son-of-a-***** if it wasn't dangerous!"

I think that it speaks volumes for having one in the chamber... enough said!
    This is awesome! :)
    Blessed be my God, my mountain, who trains me to fight fair and well! Psalm 144 (msg)
    ...follow me at twitter.com/matthewaynelson

Quote Originally Posted by AvidshooterTX View Post
    See my post at the top of page 31. I covered this and gave a couple of examples.
    There's Something Goin' On Here, and it Ain't Funny!!!

With the revolver it's never an issue, always 6 in the chamber. With the auto, One in the chamber is the only way. I added the 10-8 Performance rear site to the M&P 45. The 10-8 has a J shape on the barrel side of the site which will allow you with one hand, to rack the slide on your belt, jean or coat pocket, or if need be the bad guy's belt, jean pocket, or perhaps his face or lower jaw bone The demo at my local dealer (the guy is a state cop and does tactical training as well) sold me. I was able to rack the slide with one hand on the side of my jeans by hooking the rear site!! Just in case I have a misfire
    You can give peace a chance alright..

I'll seek cover in case it goes badly..

Page 32 of 36 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast