One in the chamber? Or not!! - Page 5
Page 5 of 36 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: One in the chamber? Or not!!

Puppy, I personally don't see any draw back to the single action such as the 1911. You practice with it and have mastered it. I however, have not. I practice with double action and am used to that. I am not used to having to manipulate a safety. It is simply what someone is accustomed to. I am afraid in a stressful situation, I will draw the gun, pull the trigger and nothing will happen. This is simply because I have not trained in moving the safety.
    David

The only person available to protect you 24 hours a day is you.

3. Quote Originally Posted by DrDavidM View Post
    Puppy, I personally don't see any draw back to the single action such as the 1911. You practice with it and have mastered it. I however, have not. I practice with double action and am used to that. I am not used to having to manipulate a safety. It is simply what someone is accustomed to. I am afraid in a stressful situation, I will draw the gun, pull the trigger and nothing will happen. This is simply because I have not trained in moving the safety.
    Actually I am far from mastering the 1911. It's new. I was just talking theoretically. My carry guns are a Kahr PM 9 and an XD 9.

4. Master presenting gun and diving for cover. I don't want to go to a gun fight.I want to go to a shooting. I won.Type of trigger or ammo = personal pref. Duck and cover ,no cowboys Protect self and love ones first.

One in the chamber? You bet I do. My main carry is a Kel-Tec p-3AT. They are DOA, no safety, fairly heavy and long trigger pull. My safety is between my ears.

Quote Originally Posted by DrDavidM View Post
    I carry double action pistols and most don't even have safeties. My Taurus PT140pro does have a safety. I initially carried it with the safety on, but realized it was perfectly safe without it because it is double action only. I won't carry a single action because you must keep the safety on with them and I am not used to having to use the safety. There certainly is nothing wrong with keeping the safety on as long as you practice with it and learn to deactivate the safety as you draw the gun. Again, it is necessary to use a safety on single action only and there are certainly a lot of people that carry 1911's cocked and locked. I simply choose a double action so I don't have to risk a pull of the trigger with the safety still engaged.
    The only safety that's necessary, whether in SA or DAO, is not touching the trigger. Unless you know something I don't know, I've never known a gun to discharge unless the trigger was squeezed.

7. Yes, But you better know what the heck your doing.

8. Well if you were to include shotguns you would be wrong. They have fallen over and gone off. The one that I know personaly was an Itaca pump.

My Smith & Wesson 6906 9mm has a hammer that fits flush into a "trough" so when hammer is down, there is no way for it to snag on anything, such as with a revolver. The only way to fire the one in the chamber is to give the trigger a good pull as DA. I carry with one in chamber and safety off, so it's ready to go without thinking. My Bersa is similar and takes a pretty good pull on the trigger for the first round, and as long as it's holstered the trigger is covered.
    I agree also that it's really no different than having a revolver that is loaded. Always just be sure that there is no chance for the trigger to pull back and release, such as catching on something while walking, and nothing can get to the trigger. As has been stated already, the BG will likely already have his weapon out and cocked, so every millisecond counts. The most important aspect is to practice, practice, practice, until you feel comfortable with your memory muscle. stay safe,

Red face One in the Chamber or Not?

Quote Originally Posted by sdf2000 View Post
    I have seen this posted on some of the other boards. But I am still not clear! It still comes down to personal preference. Do you have one in the chamber? Is the safety on? Or none in the chamber???
    I carry with one in the chamber and the safety on. I do not want to shoot my foot or any other body part off that I may not finished with yet. I seem to me that their is + and - no matter what you do. So let me have it, what is best????

What's goin on? My opinion on that is per the type of gun that your carrying.. Like me I have a Glock 19 that is my daily carry gun, and I do not carry one in the chamber simply because of 2 reasons.. 1) The owners manual states not to if your are using the gun for civilian carry. and 2) I'm just as fast pulling it and chambering a bullet(with lots and lots of practice), Because of the style and the shape of the frame of the gun. But.. if i'm carrying my Browning Hi-Power 1911 I do carry one in the chamber because of its external safety and hammer. Glocks don't feature these, only a "Safe Action Trigger"... so I say that (Depending on what your daily tasks are and your job Ex. Police, Security....) and Pistol that your carrying.. should make your determination. (ALL OF THE ABOVE IS ASSUMING THAT YOU PRACTICE PROPER GUN HANDLING TECHNIQUES)
    :)Chase

11. I might also add this is more a legal statement than a safety one. CYA

Page 5 of 36 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast