One in the chamber? Or not!! - Page 7
Page 7 of 36 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: One in the chamber? Or not!!

Yep,

one chambered and ready to go.
    Reality, DEAL with IT!

I carry one in the pipe at all times, I figure if I need may sidearm, I'm gonna need it in a hurry and I'm gonna need it ready to fire.

I too carry one in the chamber, but I feel (At this point) better with the safety on. I know it would slow my reaction time down. :o
    When I retire I am going to move up North and drive slow!!

To carry without one in the tube is D-U-M-B. If your going to do that, just quit carrying. Your going to get yourself hurt.
    'Don't draw fire; it irritates the people around you.'

6. Not me!

I would suggest that one in the camber is not always a good idea. A older fellow in my community with a concealed carry license was hit by a bunch of skumbag drunks at an intersecition. The scumbags jumped out of thier car and approached his vehicle like they were going to drag him out and beat his ass. He grabbed his gun and in the excitement of the moment slipped his finger in the trigger guard and accidently shot himself in the leg. He died of blood loss before they could get him to the hospital. In a hostile situation mistakes are easy to make.
    I carry a Kel Tek P32 in a hip pocket holster and have seriously debated the pros and cons of one in the chamber. As I have to reach behind the trigger to pull the Kel Tek out of the holster, I am worried that in the heat of a violent encounter I may blow a chunk out of my butt pulling the weapon. Than is not something I want to have to explain to family and friends. So i take the extra precaution of keeping the chamber empty. I would have the same concerns if I was carrying in Thunderwear.
    I think this is a very personal decision that each and every one of use must make on our own. I know from personal experance than even the police have thier share of accidental discharges, and screwups with weapons. Very few police departments do not have a few bullet holes somewhere inside the building. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by sdf2000 View Post
    I too carry one in the chamber, but I feel (At this point) better with the safety on. I know it would slow my reaction time down. :o

I do not carry a double action with the safety on. However, I fell if you are comfortable that way and practice, it would not slow your reaction time enough to make any difference. Obviously, the safety can be flipped off as you draw the pistol :)
    David

The only person available to protect you 24 hours a day is you.

8. What is the first thing you do if being fired on? My training has been find cover then stop threat.

echo_5 Guest

Thumbs up

+1 in a DAO (no mechanical safety)

I always carry one in the chamber. If you've been able to find cover at the critical moment, having to rack the slide alerts the BG that you have a gun, and dispenses with any confusion about your location. In a situation where you're taking out a mall shooter or a similar type of scenario, this can totally blow any advantage you have left.

Additionally, there's always the possibility that the round might jam while you're chambering it - or, you might be totally unable to rack the slide. Maybe the gun is covered in blood or one or both hands are injured. That would be highly unfortunate.

Get a carry gun and holster that you're confident will be safe enough to carry fully loaded and ready to go. Otherwise, you're carrying a paperweight around with you.

When I carry one of my Sigs (DA/SA), it if fully loaded and one in the chamber.
    When I carry my S.A. 1911 A1, its fully loaded, one in chamber, thumb safety activated. I am sorry for the person that shot himself in the leg, but with his luck, he could of had an empty chamber and racked the slide and then shot himself in the leg in all the excitement. but I figure most of the time, if I have to pull it, it will be time for immediate action.

my mother used to carry a .380 Colt Pocketlite, Chamber empty. I said Mother, I guess if you are attacked, you can request a few seconds of timeout, so you can chamber a round. I am sure the Bad Guy will grant it.

she now carries a .380 Kel Tec. the colt was stolen from her purse that she left it in the car.

Larry, from the Greater (ref.to size only) Houston Area.
    Last edited by LDaniel; 01-05-2008 at 07:48 PM.

Page 7 of 36 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast