One in the chamber? Or not!! - Page 8
Page 8 of 36 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 352

Thread: One in the chamber? Or not!!

  1. #71
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    West of the Rocky Mountains
    Posts
    7
    I've carried both ways over the years depending on the type of handgun and circumstances at the time. It always cracks me up when someone posts that a handgun carried without one in the tube is a paperweight or a rock......they usually proclaim this as if no-one had ever heard that one before......
    Say what you want....I'd rather have a handgun with 10 in the magazine than a rock....not saying this is my prefered method of carry but really... it doesn't render the weapon completly useless.....
    To sit back hoping that someday, someway, someone will make things right is to go on feeding the crocodile, hoping he will eat you last--but eat you he will.
    Ronald Reagan

  2.   
  3. #72
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,437
    Quote Originally Posted by M50 Guy View Post
    Say what you want....I'd rather have a handgun with 10 in the magazine than a rock....not saying this is my prefered method of carry but really... it doesn't render the weapon completly useless.....
    It's not useless, except for most situations in which you'd have to use it. Maybe if the BGs are totally deaf, or their fame precedes them 10 seconds before they show up, or they're using flintlock pistols that require a time-consuming reload procedure, then racking the slide wouldn't be a problem.

    In some situations, you might actually get stabbed before you'd have a chance to shoot back. That would put a new twist on an old phrase.

  4. #73
    I always carry with one in the chamber.I don't remember if I always did,but I always do now.As previously stated,I want to be ready if I need to use it.
    Give everybody guns.
    Natural selection will cull out the idiots.

  5. I would just say that, unless you've had extensive training or many hours of practice, it would be wise to keep one in the chamber. Fine motor skills tend to be the first thing to go during fight/flight mode, and doing things like racking the slide or taking off a safety may actually become difficult during the moment of truth. That's why I think it's best for a beginner to carry a wheel gun or a Glock, that way all you'd have to do is point and shoot. I would not want to carry 1 in the chamber in some firearms but with a Glock and its' internal safeties (and obviously a wheel gun) carrying 1 in the chamber is only going to help and definitely not hurt you. Just my opinion......

  6. #75
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    West of the Rocky Mountains
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by toreskha View Post
    It's not useless, except for most situations in which you'd have to use it. Maybe if the BGs are totally deaf, or their fame precedes them 10 seconds before they show up, or they're using flintlock pistols that require a time-consuming reload procedure, then racking the slide wouldn't be a problem.

    In some situations, you might actually get stabbed before you'd have a chance to shoot back. That would put a new twist on an old phrase.
    It's all about risk management. My point is..I would never look down my nose at someone who was not completly comfortable carrying a handgun with one in the tube. It's a very personal decision , maybe that person hasn't had adequate training and is smart enough to realize that he may be safer on a daily basis by being forced to rack the slide. Maybe the guy is a statistics freak and figures that chambering and unchambering a round every day for years and years presents a greater risk to himself then the chance that he may find himself in a self defense situation with no time to rack the slide. Who the heck knows! I think everyone agrees that not having to rack the slide puts you in the game quicker, but for people to say you might as well not carry if you don't put one in the tube is nuts!
    Last edited by M50 Guy; 01-05-2008 at 11:29 PM.
    To sit back hoping that someday, someway, someone will make things right is to go on feeding the crocodile, hoping he will eat you last--but eat you he will.
    Ronald Reagan

  7. Well I carry one in the tube,but I do not carry my knife open. It is still with me .Better none in the tube than no tube at all.

  8. #77
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    The "Right" Coast
    Posts
    16

    Interesting article I came across yesterday

    http://www.smartcarry.com/cocklock.htm

    I know you're not carrying a 1911, but a good article just the same addressing the need to be ready when the proverbial "poop" hits the fan.
    "Will Work For Ammo"

  9. #78
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,437
    Quote Originally Posted by M50 Guy View Post
    It's all about risk management. My point is..I would never look down my nose at someone who was not completly comfortable carrying a handgun with one in the tube. It's a very personal decision , maybe that person hasn't had adequate training and is smart enough to realize that he may be safer on a daily basis by being forced to rack the slide. Maybe the guy is a statistics freak and figures that chambering and unchambering a round every day for years and years presents a greater risk to himself then the chance that he may find himself in a self defense situation with no time to rack the slide. Who the heck knows! I think everyone agrees that not having to rack the slide puts you in the game quicker, but for people to say you might as well not carry if you don't put one in the tube is nuts!
    I understand your reasoning, but based on what happens in crime situations, I can't foresee a likely situation in which you'd have time to rack the slide. At best, it would alert the criminals to the fact that someone nearby is armed. They're not going to think before shooting at you; they'll just do it, and worry about the consequences later. That's what got them where they are.

    The key is to carry a gun that you feel comfortable carrying with a chambered round. You can still keep the safety on - you should just be able to disengage it while drawing. Test it in a variety of carrying positions to make absolutely sure the safety will never disengage unintentionally.

    It's sort of like keeping a single fire extinguisher in the house, and it's in the kitchen. If you wake up and your house is burning down, what's the chance of being able to run into the kitchen? Normally, you could make the trip in a few seconds if needed, but it'll be really hard if you just woke up and there's a wall of smoke and flames in your way. I sleep near a fire extinguisher, because it will help to put out the fire that's between me and the window, and then as a battering ram to bust out the window. It's also an effective melee/short range surprise weapon if needed. Remember, the fire department is just minutes away!

  10. #79

    Carry Condition

    My Beretta 9000s is SA/DA with a safety/decocker and a visable/accessable hammer.

    I normally have:
    • One in the pipe
    • Hammer down
    • Safety on
    If I sense possible immediate use:
    • One in the pipe
    • Hammer down
    • Safety OFF
    • Still in the holster
    If I sense actual immediate use:
    • One in the pipe
    • Hammer cocked - if time
    • Safety OFF
    • Two hand grip outside the holster
    Orlando, FL

  11. #80
    I Carry A 1911 Cocked And Locked. I Am Comfortable With It. I Use The Safety As Added Precaution. Would Never Go Without One In The Pipe. You Need To Practice To Feel Comfortable With Your Weapon. I Shoot In Idpa And It Has Helped Me To Be Confident In What I Do. Know Your Weapon! It Is Your Frind.

Page 8 of 36 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast