One in the chamber? Or not!! - Page 9
Page 9 of 36 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: One in the chamber? Or not!!

It's important to know your firearm and train often. Use a blue gun and a mirror if you have to. Locked, loaded and ready to go is my preference. If you're still not sure, see if you can arrange for some "force on force" training with simunitions and a group of fellow armed citizens. You'll find where life and death is separated by a few 10ths of a second, you'll sure appreciate not having to rack the slide or cocking a hammer.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

3. I always carry "fully loaded" + one in the chamber. As mentioned by many others, in the event of an emergency, in a high stress situation, keep it simple....point & shoot.

This discussion makes me think of a quote attributed to the legendary Texas Ranger Charlie Miller. Charlie was instrumental in getting the Texas Rangers to carry 1911 45's. Of course, Charlie always carried his cocked and locked with the hammer obviously back. A citizen noted the hammer back on the 1911 carried in the waist band by Charlie. The Citizen asks, "Isn't That Dangerous?" Charley replied, " I wouldn't carry the son of a ***** if it wasn't dangerous
    MOLON LABE

Always carry with one in the chamber
    Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should not have to beat you to death with it because it is ?EMPTY?

Round in chamber, safety on.

I carry with one in the tube, I hope I never have to pull my gun, but if i do I want it to be ready...
    Glock Carrier in SC.

MufDady

My revolver can carry 5 so I put 5 bullets in the gun. XD 45 has many safeties, including my finger, my mind and grip safety. When micro seconds count and since I need to keep my handgun CONCEALED until that last possible second, I can't see risking my chance by needing to chamber one.
    That being said, I don't keep the house shotgun(S) chambered. But thats also with the fact that my .357 and XD are double action, no hair trigger and no manual safety. But thats just me. Having a gun is better then not having one at all. So if the .5 seconds your compromise, it's still better then having left your handgun at home or in your car.
    Rule #1 of CCW: Don't get made.

Round in the chamber, fully-loaded. It's ready to go, the split second that I draw.

To Chamber or Not to Chamber

I always carry my weapons chambered. You will be safer that way. Like many have said in this post...all modern day guns are designed with a safety / passive saftey system. Glock is a perfect example. The trigger itself is actually the safety. Speed to deploy is a HUGE factor. Most all BG's will pounce without warning. You need to counter by having your weapon ready for deployment.....your life might depend on it.

[QUOTE=rmarcustrucker;12211] That being said, I don't keep the house shotgun(S) chambered. QUOTE]

I don't keep my shotguns chambered either. All of the perps I've encountered must have been in the same class. The sound of my pump action shotgun chambering a shell was more then enough to send them packing. :D

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

Page 9 of 36 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast