One in the chamber? Or not!!
Page 1 of 36 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: One in the chamber? Or not!!

Question One in the chamber? Or not!!

I have seen this posted on some of the other boards. But I am still not clear! It still comes down to personal preference. Do you have one in the chamber? Is the safety on? Or none in the chamber???
    I carry with one in the chamber and the safety on. I do not want to shoot my foot or any other body part off that I may not finished with yet. I seem to me that their is + and - no matter what you do. So let me have it, what is best????
    When I retire I am going to move up North and drive slow!!

I truly don't see any minuses of carrying with one in the chamber. The handgun most likely won't do much good without one. Situations happen very quickly and most of the time you won't have time to chamber one. Modern handguns are made perfectly safe to carry with one in the chamber. Either they have an effective safety devise or they are double action. If DA, it is no different than carrying a revolver with a full cylinder. The long trigger pulls acts as a safety. The chances of accidently engaging that long trigger pull is very unlikely. As you have said whatever is most comfortable to you is how you should carry. I feel, however, one in the chamber is the most appropriate way.

thanks
    David

The only person available to protect you 24 hours a day is you.

If I have to pull my weapon then I'm 99.9% sure I will need to fire it. I want it ready to go if I'm in that situation. One in the chamber in every weapon I own! Modern weapons are safe to carry with one in the chamber. Where the confusion came in is when the old single action revolvers were used they carried it with the chamber empty under the hammer. The had no safety designed in it to preclude it from firing if the hammer got bumped. I guarantee the BG will have one in the chamber!
    USAF Retired, CATM, SC CWP, NH NR CWP, NRA Benefactor
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

Well do you carry one less round in wheel gun? If you are going someplace that you might need a gun stay home. Be aware of your surroundings and know your gun is not loaded.
    Last edited by kwo51; 09-07-2008 at 04:17 PM.

Thanks for all the answers. Do you ( all three of you) think that confidence carrying with one in the chamber and safety off comes with carrying for a while???
    When I retire I am going to move up North and drive slow!!

Yes. I was uncomfortable at first. Now I would only feel uncomfortable without one chambered or without a pistol. Of course, you are referring to carrying a double action with the safety off, not a single action. Trust me. Follow the safety rules, and you will feel totally at ease carrying with one in the chamber.
    David

The only person available to protect you 24 hours a day is you.

You bet! Confidence is the name of the game for CC. You must be confident in carrying the weapon, you must be confident with firing the weapon (training/practice) and you must be confident that you will fire the weapon and take someones life if needed! Lack of confidence in any area and you need to hang up your weapon because a lack of confidence across the board could cost you or others their lives.
    USAF Retired, CATM, SC CWP, NH NR CWP, NRA Benefactor
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

I honestly carried one in the chamber from the very first time I carried. I use a holster and I have the upmost confidence that the gun will not fire unless I pull the trigger. I suppose if I just stuck it in my waistband I would be slightly nervous but as it stands that is not an issue. To me, carrying a handgun without one in the pipe presents a number of problems. First off is the speed issue: You will most likely barely have enough time to draw and fire WITH a bullet ready to go...forget about having to rack the slide. Second is the addition of the possibility your round gets caught up when you are trying to chamber the bullet. Your mind/body will be going nuts in a life or death situation...to me this increases the chances of not pulling the slide all the way back or slipping out of your hand or whatever.

I have this discussion with a guy at work all the time...we feel differently and thats just the way it is. One thing we both agree on...niether of us ever use the safety on any of our firearms.

The purpose of concealed carry is to have the element of
    surprise on your side.

Unless you see something is about to happen the BG has already has his weapon out and ready and you can not out draw a drawn weapon especially if you have to draw your weapon and chamber a round.

Your only hope would be to see an opening and draw your weapon, you may only have 1 to 2 seconds tops and that dose not allow you to draw and chamber without lead heading in your direction.
    Today is a good day to have a good day

11. +3 (or 4 or whatever) on one in the chamber. That's one reason I carry my RAMI...first shot can be double action just like a revolver and I don't have to worry about messing with the safety (although it does have one and I could carry "cocked and locked" like with a 1911). My other main carry gun is a S&W 642 snubby and it makes it a little easier that, regardless of which one I'm carrying, all I have to do is pull the trigger. I don't trust myself to remember how to work a safety/decocker/etc. in the heat of the moment. Anyway, just my opinion...for what its worth.
    "Though defensive violence will always be 'a sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." St. Augustine A.D. 354-430

-LP

Page 1 of 36 12311 ... LastLast