I need some help
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I need some help

1. I need some help

I need some help. I am trying to decide on which handgun to buy. The caliber is 9mm, and itís down to, I guess, 3 weapons. The s&w mp9, the sig p250 and the ruger sr9. Family members carry the glock 26 at work, so I have had a lot of opportunity to shoot it, and I didnít enjoyed it, so I knocked off the glocks (sorry to the glock fans). Also I was adamantly told that the s&w automatics were really really bad (trigger pull, jamming etc..) now I am just wondering around in a quagmire of indecision going from shop to shop.
    One more thing, this will be the home defense handgun for the wife (little, 5"2") as well as an occasional carry weapon for me. thanks for looking.

Given your limited selection, I'd opt for the Sig. The other 2 pistols have had their share of problems. You may want to consider other manufacturers and posslibly look at other Sig models. I'm not particularly fond of the P250.

Whatever you choose, be sure that it's what YOU want and not what the guys at the gun shop "recommend". There are some gun shops out there that will "recommend" a gun for you based on what they have in stock rather than what's best for you and what you are looking for.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

4. For what it is worth, my wife's home defense gun is 'The Judge' loaded and ready with teh first shot .410 and the remaining 4 .45 Long Colt. That works for her at least in theory. We are thankful that she has never had to use it.

The Sig. No question.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

6. Another vote for the Sig. I'm a big fan of Glock, but I must admit, I don't like the G26 at all. It's just too small in the grip to be comfortable. The G19 is pretty sweet though.

7. thanks gang, I guess my limited selection is due to the shops and what they have available. It has been crazy since november. I ll have to see if any friends have the G19, and give it a try. I wanted to get a large capacity smaller round handgun, and those were the options I had at top of the spending limit (is it me or has the prices gone through the roof?). If there are other recommendations of manufactures, I am open to suggestions. (one thing, the state of maryland has a spent casing rule, and I get repeatedly from the shops that this has inhibited many manufactures from selling here, or that gun is not avialable, etc.)

Thumbs up mp 45 smith & Wesson

I just purchased a mp 45 smith & Wesson and took it for a test drive at the range I love it so if the 9mm is any thing like it is sweet. Also easy to field strip and clean.

Quote Originally Posted by fishtripn View Post
    thanks gang, I guess my limited selection is due to the shops and what they have available. It has been crazy since november. I ll have to see if any friends have the G19, and give it a try. I wanted to get a large capacity smaller round handgun, and those were the options I had at top of the spending limit (is it me or has the prices gone through the roof?). If there are other recommendations of manufactures, I am open to suggestions. (one thing, the state of maryland has a spent casing rule, and I get repeatedly from the shops that this has inhibited many manufactures from selling here, or that gun is not avialable, etc.)
    Sounds like you need to check out some of the online sellers. I've bought several new guns over the past 5 years or so. Every gun came with the little envelope containing a spent casing with info about the firearm on the envelope. Off the top of my head, the guns I bought wre made by Ruger, Glock, Taurus, Beretta, Springfield Armory and FN. There are a lot of choices out there. Just because the local gun shop doesn't have it, doesn't mean that you can't own one in PRMD. More times than not, I find the gun shop sales folks peddling a bunch of BS about certain models of firearms so that they can sell what they have "on hand". They talk about how a certain model of gun is "rare". I check it out online and find it for sale and call them on their BS.

Don't be afraid to shop around. There are several places to buy guns from online. If the local gun shop won't play ball, then maybe it's time to shop someplace else.

JMHO

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

Another vote for Sig...

I have owned Glock (Mod. 30 & 37), Colt 1911, Ruger, S&W, Springfield (the XD), Taurus, Walther, and some others. Beretta makes a nice 9mm as does Sig. I like the Sig "feel" just not the price. But it is a quality handgun. IF IT WERE ME, based on what you state are your choices, I would opt for the Sig. Let us know what you choose and how you like it...

grayryder Guest

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by fishtripn View Post
    I need some help. I am trying to decide on which handgun to buy. The caliber is 9mm, and itís down to, I guess, 3 weapons. The s&w mp9, the sig p250 and the ruger sr9. Family members carry the glock 26 at work, so I have had a lot of opportunity to shoot it, and I didnít enjoyed it, so I knocked off the glocks (sorry to the glock fans). Also I was adamantly told that the s&w automatics were really really bad (trigger pull, jamming etc..) now I am just wondering around in a quagmire of indecision going from shop to shop.
    One more thing, this will be the home defense handgun for the wife (little, 5"2") as well as an occasional carry weapon for me. thanks for looking.
    I too, found the Glock unsatisfactory for conceal carry purposes. I mean totally concealed. I went for the Bersa Thunder 380 with a special in the waist belt, right rear draw holster from Leather, Guns & Etc. The Bersa carried me through 74 hours of self defense use and home protection training. Never once did I experience a jam or stove pipe while on the line. I fired from 150 to 200 rounds in 4 different classes. The Bersa 380 held it's own on the line with some the high dollar weapons on the market today. I witnessed several jams and stove pipes from the some of the high dollar big boys. The Bersa is my primary conceal carry. With the right ammunination, Golden Saber 102 Gr. JHP, the 380 will do the job in any given situation.

Grayryder

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast