Looking at the first 1911 - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking at the first 1911

Quote Originally Posted by crazycathed View Post
    my 1st was a RI.I still carry it with a muzzle brake and extended 10 round mag. all I need now is a shoulder stock.

It makes for a neat toy but it's not very practical. If you're going to carry something that takes up as much space as a rifle, you may as well have a rifle cartridge.
    People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome.--River Tam

wolfhunter Guest
    I went with the Charles Daley model for my 1911, but it was also made by Armscor. 1200 rounds through it, and it's still great.

Quote Originally Posted by NDS View Post

It makes for a neat toy but it's not very practical. If you're going to carry something that takes up as much space as a rifle, you may as well have a rifle cartridge.

NDS, I just put one together yesterday. I ordered my barrel and stock kit from Numrich arms. Like you said; not very practical but makes for a great conversation piece.
    USAF Retired, CATM, SC CWP, NH NR CWP, NRA Benefactor
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

Quote Originally Posted by Red Hat View Post
    NDS, I just put one together yesterday. I ordered my barrel and stock kit from Numrich arms. Like you said; not very practical but makes for a great conversation piece.
    Crazy Coincidence: I just took mine apart this morning and I'm going to sell my parts! You're right that it's cool to pull out because almost everyone goes WTF!! then asks questions. This kit did make me decide I really like my 1911 handguns as handguns, not compromised carbines. I'm probably going to be interested in pistol caliber rifles forever, though. Next I want:

I just can't help thinking it would be great fun. If I could ever justify the price, I'd get a full-auto 9mm of some kind.
    People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome.--River Tam

I own a Taurus PT1911 AR as well and love it, along with a couple other . I have also owned several other brands, and the bottom line is the same, ..there's a reason why the pistol is still being used after 100 years of service.

If your looking for one just to have, then literally go with what feels right in your hand, (I say just to have & NOT carry) just having one don't have to worry about it being too big I personally recommend getting one with a rail if you ever think about getting a laser or light.

However if your looking for something to carry, consider size & weight of the firearm. The full sized full metal framed ones (such as my Taurus) are wonderful, but they are a brick to carry and for me (i'm 4"10 and about 160) after a day of carrying it in my hip pack i pay for it. If your anything like me i'd fully recommend a 4" (i've heard nothing but great stuff on the new Kimber Crimson Carry)...

They are wonderful very straight forward firearms I personally love them, but the bottom line for you is what feels right & what your familiar with.

Hope I could help...in some way
    ~Lupine Nobilis~

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12