Carry ammo regulations for different states - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Carry ammo regulations for different states

Quote Originally Posted by molonlabetn View Post
    SS190 isn't AP... it just recieves hype because it can penetrate soft vests and kevlar helmets. Real armor just laughs at it.

SS109 (5.56x45 NATO) does have a hardened tungsten core, it will make it through some steel plate.
    I did have this a bit mixed up. From wikipedia:
    The SS190 AP ball FMJ is designated as Armor Piercing (AP) ammunition, designed to penetrate body armor. Its sale to civilians is restricted. (amd's note: restricted by FN, not by federal law) The SS190 bullet has a steel penetrator and an aluminum core. It is interesting to note that the SS109 FMJ bullet is essentially of the same design, except it uses a lead core with a steel penetrator. The SS109 is frequently found in civilian-legal M855 loads sold as surplus or contract-overrun ammunition. FN Herstal has stated that the SS190 round will easily penetrate protections that stop normal pistol rounds, but will not penetrate protections that stop the 5.56 x 45 mm NATO round such as Level III armor.

SS109 5.56mm is steel and lead, not tungsten, afaik.

3. What I like about this site is the wealth of information available to posters and how willing people are to help others. Sure do appreciate all the feedback. I have noted the responses and stored them in the part of my brain that hasn't fried to bits yet. Should remain there until the summer months of 08.

Again, great responses. Thanks.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by molonlabetn View Post
    You can't carry ammunition with an explosive charge in the projectile, which is designed to ignite upon impact, in TN.

I stand corrected. Not the first time though :D . Can you actually buy ammo with explosive charges in the bullet?
    David

The only person available to protect you 24 hours a day is you.

5. At one time years ago, super vals were the hottest thing going. I think they had gun power in the hollow point. Bad ass 380 rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by DrDavidM View Post
    I stand corrected. Not the first time though :D . Can you actually buy ammo with explosive charges in the bullet?
    http://ammunitiontogo.com/catalog1/s...istol-ammo-37/

http://ammunitiontogo.com/catalog1/i...istol-ammo-34/
    www.tngunowners.com

-molonlabetn

Quote Originally Posted by amddude View Post
    SS109 5.56mm is steel and lead, not tungsten, afaik.
    My mistake... SS109 (M855) is mild steel, it's M995 which has the tungsten core.
    www.tngunowners.com

-molonlabetn

Interesting. Thanks guys. I had never seen these before.
    David

The only person available to protect you 24 hours a day is you.

9. I believe these are called bi-anary rounds. The super-val was not one of these but fragmented on contact .

Being an inmate in New Jersey, I can tell you that the laws here are obfuscatory and confusing at best. I have the dreaded hollow-point ammunition in my arsenal but have elected to carry FMJ or Expanding FMJ here when I carry (limited applications). For the .45, it's not much of a worry, but for other calibers, such as the .380 and .38, I'd much prefer something more formidable like the Glaser Safety Slug.
    NRA Life; GOA Life; CCRKBA Life; Trustee, NJCSD; F&AM: 32 & KT
    The Only Answer to a Bad Guy with a Gun - Is a Good Guy with a Gun!
    When Seconds Count...The Police are only MINUTES Away!

Quote Originally Posted by Ektarr View Post
    I'd much prefer something more formidable like the Glaser Safety Slug.
    You need to do your research, IWBA hates that round and I agree with them. I've seen to people shot with them. A knife is better than Glasers.

Stick with ball ammo, preferably flat point over round nose.
    "A kind word only goes so far, a kind word and a gun goes a lot further" 1924
    Be Safe, Be Confident, Get Trained! Copyrighted 1996
    [email protected]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast