Carry ammo regulations for different states
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Carry ammo regulations for different states

1. Carry ammo regulations for different states

How does one find what ammo is allowed for concealed carry in each state one will be travelling through? Is there that much difference between states on this matter?

Just some beginning thoughts.

Michael

As far as I can recall NJ is the only state that has any kind of restrictions on ammo and they restrict hollow points outside of the home if I am not mistaken.

There may be some restrictions on the 5 seven ammo regarding 'cop killer' bullets that will penetrate body armor, but I am not familiar with any of that.

I would imagine someone will be along soon with more info or to correct me if I am incorrect on any of my thoughts.

spc

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelJ07 View Post
    How does one find what ammo is allowed for concealed carry in each state one will be travelling through? Is there that much difference between states on this matter?

Just some beginning thoughts.

Michael
    Contact your local ATF Alcohol Tobacco & Firearms Agent they should be able to advise you.
    Last edited by Hondov65; 11-19-2007 at 12:08 AM.

5. okey dokey, Smokey! Thanks for the replies. Love this site!

Michael

Most states have a website that discusses concealed carry, In TN it is the Department of Safety. I am not sure that would be the ssame in all states. I am sure the would list any such regulations. FYI there aren't any ammo restrictions in TN
    David

The only person available to protect you 24 hours a day is you.

Please if you do research this we could put it where all could retrive. Good question.

You can't carry ammunition with an explosive charge in the projectile, which is designed to ignite upon impact, in TN.
    www.tngunowners.com

-molonlabetn

The way I selected my ammo was to ask what the local police carry. You ought to be fine just about anywhere with Federal Hydro Shock or Speer Gold Dot.
    Victory rewards not the army that fires the most rounds, but who is the more accurate shot. ---Unknown

I think NJ is the only state with restrictions on that. Of course, that's silly because a FMJ is much more likely to injure a bystander.

The ss109 round that the five seven shoots is actually specifically exempted from being armor piercing under federal law (IIRC). I still wouldn't use that for carry because of over-penetration though.

SS190 isn't AP... it just recieves hype because it can penetrate soft vests and kevlar helmets. Real armor just laughs at it.

SS109 (5.56x45 NATO) does have a hardened tungsten core, it will make it through some steel plate.
    www.tngunowners.com

-molonlabetn

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast