Differences and similarities of five handguns
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Differences and similarities of five handguns

Differences and similarities of five handguns

I'm narrowing down my selections for a second carry handgun (semi-auto) to five/six choices. My current one is a S&W 60LS revolver.

Rohrbaugh 9
    KelTec P11 or PF9
    Sig Sauer P250
    S&W M&P9c (preferably #209304)
    Glock 26

(I'm already experienced with using a Glock 26, but my husband now claims that one to be his own carry gun.)

What I am looking for are the differences/similarities of these models from those of you who have handled them--along the lines of recoil power, gun preference to certain ammunition brands (picky with ammo or willing to "eat" any brand?), manufacturer's customer service when problems occur, ease with disassembling/assembling for cleaning, etc.

I'm looking for your feedback please as part of my research. I will be trying these guns out at the range.

Thank you,

- Ceicei

Quote Originally Posted by Ceicei View Post
    I'm narrowing down my selections for a second carry handgun (semi-auto) to five/six choices. My current one is a S&W 60LS revolver.

Rohrbaugh 9
    I want one of these. From what I understand they break every few to several hundred rounds, but the manufacturer will fix them without hassle. I've heard of owners being told they shoot it too much. Size is unsurpassed for concealability but price is very high!
    KelTec P11 or PF9
    I have a friend who carries the P11 and he likes it. I carry a PF-9 daily (I own 2) and like it much better than the fatter P11. The PF-9 is not quite as small as the Rohrbaugh, or as high quality as some other choices, but it's cheap, light, and dependable. I have already sent one back to KelTec because I shoot carry pistols a lot. They told me they'd repair / rebuild as many times as necessary and to not worry about how much I shoot it. It's lighter than the Rohrbaugh, Glock, or Kahr of approximately the same size. The light weight is the deciding factor for me.

No experience with the rest beyond looking at / holding them in the store.
    Sig Sauer P250
    Glock 26

(I'm already experienced with using a Glock 26, but my husband now claims that one to be his own carry gun.)

What I am looking for are the differences/similarities of these models from those of you who have handled them--along the lines of recoil power, gun preference to certain ammunition brands (picky with ammo or willing to "eat" any brand?), manufacturer's customer service when problems occur, ease with disassembling/assembling for cleaning, etc.

I'm looking for your feedback please as part of my research. I will be trying these guns out at the range.

Thank y$ou,

- Ceicei
    If you really like and trust the 26, get another. If you find something you like better, try it. If you decide you didn't make the best choice, sell it and try something else. We're not talking about a new house, car, or even a vacation here. A few hundred dollars to investigate what you feel is the best tool to preserve your life and that of those you love is not a high price to pay.
    People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome.--River Tam

I have no experience with the Rohrbaugh 9 so can not say much about it. As for the others this would be my order.

Sig Sauer P250
    KelTec P11 or PF9
    Glock 26

But that's just me. The main thing is how it feels in your hand, if the gun fits you well the felt recoil will also seem more manageable. I'd go to a store and handle all of them and if possible rent them. If the Glock 26 fits you better then the others get one also. Then you'll have a his and hers set.

Or you could go the safe route and buy one of each!
    "When Government fears the people, it's liberty. When people fear the Government, it's tyranny."
    - Benjamin Franklin

My order would go like this:

Sig Sauer P250
    Glock 26
    KelTec P11 or PF9
    Rohrbaugh 9

Although I would take the Kahr PM9 or CW90 over the KelTec or Rohrbaugh.
    "When the outflow exceeds the inflow, the upkeep becomes the downfall"

I looked into the Rohrbaugh. Very sweet. I wanted it for a pocket pistol. Not easy to swap out the mag in a hurry so it would be what you have onboard as far as I am concerned. I bought an LCP and put the Crimson laser on. This gun is very consistant! Fits the pocket just right. I know it is a .380 but never any prob to carrying it.
    I love my HK USP .40 compact but still looking for something smaller but with more power then a .380.
    My wife picked out a Kahr p380 sp we bought it this past Sat.
    It got me looking into the Kahr MK9. 9mm so that is what you are looking for. It is small, another plus. The MK is all steel so a bit heavier but you will like the way it shoots with the extra weight. It is still less $ then the Rohrbaugh but easy to change mags quickly. Just my $.02...what do I know lol
    Love this site! You guys are very helpful and informative!
    Last edited by CapGun; 05-13-2009 at 06:27 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by NDS View Post
    I want one of these. From what I understand they break every few to several hundred rounds, but the manufacturer will fix them without hassle.
    For something that has a reputation to be as finely calibrated as a watch, I'm surprised it is not more durable. Nice to know the company will fix without hassle, but that will mean a few days of waiting each time. Not good.
    I've heard of owners being told they shoot it too much.
    Shoot too much? I like to make sure I practice often with my guns. It helps reinforce muscle memory... Maybe the Rohrbaugh isn't the gun for me... The size is appealing, but a gun that is very, very high maintenance may not be as convenient.
    I have a friend who carries the P11 and he likes it. I carry a PF-9 daily (I own 2) and like it much better than the fatter P11. The PF-9 is not quite as small as the Rohrbaugh, or as high quality as some other choices, but it's cheap, light, and dependable. I have already sent one back to KelTec because I shoot carry pistols a lot. They told me they'd repair / rebuild as many times as necessary and to not worry about how much I shoot it. I
    I like the company philosophy! I'll take a closer look at these models.
    If you find something you like better, try it. If you decide you didn't make the best choice, sell it and try something else. We're not talking about a new house, car, or even a vacation here. A few hundred dollars to investigate what you feel is the best tool to preserve your life and that of those you love is not a high price to pay.
    Wonderful advice. Thank you.

- Ceicei

Quote Originally Posted by KimberPB View Post
    As for the others this would be my order.

Sig Sauer P250
    KelTec P11 or PF9
    Glock 26
    What is it about these guns that made you place them in that order? What do you consider is the P250's strongest feature?
    The main thing is how it feels in your hand, if the gun fits you well the felt recoil will also seem more manageable.
    Good point.
    I'd go to a store and handle all of them and if possible rent them.
    That's my plan. It's the best way to compare by trying them out.
    If the Glock 26 fits you better then the others get one also. Then you'll have a his and hers set.
    Isn't that sweet? I used to be a die-hard Glock fan, but I decided to open my mind a bit more and see what else is out there. Maybe something better, or maybe more of the same. We'll see.
    Or you could go the safe route and buy one of each!
    Now that is tempting. I'll have to buy a bigger gun safe....

- Ceicei

Quote Originally Posted by DarrellM5 View Post
    My order would go like this:

Sig Sauer P250
    Glock 26
    KelTec P11 or PF9
    Rohrbaugh 9
    May I ask why?
    Although I would take the Kahr PM9 or CW90 over the KelTec or Rohrbaugh.
    Interesting. Is there something different mechanically that would make the Kahr PM9 / CW90 preferable than the KelTec?

- Ceicei

Quote Originally Posted by CapGun View Post
    I looked into the Rohrbaugh. Very sweet. I wanted it for a pocket pistol. Not easy to swap out the mag in a hurry so it would be what you have onboard as far as I am concerned.
    That is a new bit of information I hadn't heard before about the Rohrbaughs. Definitely worth a thought. Ease of swapping would be important in a high stress environment.
    I bought an LCP and put the Crimson laser on. This gun is very consistant! Fits the pocket just right. I know it is a .380 but never any prob to carrying it.
    I'm guessing your LCP is a Ruger? I used to have a Ruger P89 and P90. I was using them for my first CCW testing years ago and had trouble shooting. The police officer (who was the instructor for that class) was observing me then came over to explain why I was having trouble. They both, unfortunately, were too big for my hands and causing me to limp-wrist when I shoot. He then handed me his service gun (a Glock 36 or 37, can't remember) to finish out the test. Big difference! That is how I fell in love with the Glocks for their ease of handling and durability; I ended up buying a G26.
    I love my HK USP .40 compact but still looking for something smaller but with more power then a .380.
    My wife picked out a Kahr p380 sp we bought it this past Sat.
    It got me looking into the Kahr MK9. 9mm so that is what you are looking for. It is small, another plus. The MK is all steel so a bit heavier but you will like the way it shoots with the extra weight. It is still less $ then the Rohrbaugh but easy to change mags quickly. Just my $.02...what do I know lol
    So how does your wife like the Kahr p380? I prefer a 9mm over a .380 gun. I am pleased with my revolver which takes both the 38 and 357 ammo. I like having the choice. Kahr MK9? Ummm... Steel, not polymer? Interesting. I'll definitely have to check that out.
    Love this site! You guys are very helpful and informative!
    Thank you for your information! I agree USACarry is a terrific website. I started out with packing.org for some years and when that folded, USACarry started up and bullseyed the target. Much as I enjoyed packing.org and the dynamics of those who used to post there, I do think USACarry came out stronger with more useful information. The feel is very different and I love it here.

- Ceicei

11. I picked up a Sig P250 about 6 months ago for my wife - Both of us could not be happier with the choice. After putting approx 1000 rounds through the gun, it has not had one failure using several different kinds of FMJ ammo. I have pretty large hands, but the gun is very comfortable to shoot, even for me. Very light weight as well. What I would say is the best aspect of the P250, aside from its modular nature, is the sweet DAO trigger pull. Relatively short trigger travel for a DA shot, very smooth and even 6lb (give or take a couple of ounces) trigger pull. Light recoil for a small-framed handgun.

Just my opinion - I would offer a comparison to the others on your list, but I have no experience with them. I am a 1911 guy, the P250 and my P226 Blackwater are my first non-1911s since the 90s when I had a USP 45. What I will say is that Sig makes high quality firearms that have been proven reliable - and they have a nice rebate program for AD miilitary and LEOs.

Good luck in your search - input from others is good, but it has been posted here already - handle the different guns, find the one that is most comfortable for you. I can tell you Sigs are the best things since sliced bread, but if they don't feel right in your hands, then a Sig may not be for you....

Cheers,
    Craig

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast