Smart Carry and Lightning Wear????? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Smart Carry and Lightning Wear?????

Quote Originally Posted by Ceicei View Post
    I assume by "Lightning Wear", you actually mean "ThunderWear". SmartCarry and ThunderWear are similar. There are some (like me) who want their firearms close to their body, but not necessarily attached directly to clothes (such as pants). Although I don't own either brand, I do adhere to their premise of keeping close control of the gun and deep conceal-ability. I don't need to remove the holster or place my gun elsewhere when visiting the restroom. My gun simply stays on me...

I wear a Velcro-based elastic belly band (ActionDirect) and am very pleased to have my gun hugging me closely--comfortably worn all day, every day. It makes it relatively easy for me to wear under most kinds of clothes.

- Ceicei
    No, he's speaking of me. It really is "Lightningwear".

Quote Originally Posted by burley View Post
    ?? not found on e-bay or on google.
    I'd go with smartcarry. Had mine 2 years, great for deep cover carry.Also has a sweat proof back panel that will protect your gun and a 60 trial period to try one out.
    It is one word, not two. It comes up on a Google search.

Mine also has a 60-day trial period.

The "sweat-proof back panel" issue is interesting. I don't personally comment on the question (except in the abstract) as it might be seen as running down a competitor's product - but I do provide the link to Cushman and Marden's Cushmax (TM) product page which describes the actual physical properties of the material used on the back panel of the Smartcarry.

I think that both Smartcarry and Thunderwear are excellent products, and would recommend them without hesitation - but I do happen to like mine better. **;>=-
    Last edited by Dex Sinister; 06-02-2009 at 05:19 PM. Reason: spelling missteak :)

Quote Originally Posted by oilwick1 View Post
    What is the opinion of the Smart Carry and Lightning Wear CC holsters - comfort, concealability, durability. All opinions and experience appreciated.
    You can get some opinions by looking at my feedback comments on eBay - though you should, of course, be aware that not all 345 of them are directly related to the Lightningwear holster.

Just curious...

Has anyone used the Smart Carry while riding a motrcycle?

Quote Originally Posted by HardCorps53 View Post
    Has anyone used the Smart Carry while riding a motrcycle?
    I ride. The end of the muzzle inside the holster just sits on the seat between your legs, just like it does when you sit down or drive a car. Not that you're going to be able to draw it, of course, unless you're off the bike, or have both feet on the ground and the bike in neutral since it's a two-hand draw.

I'd imagine that if you had a bike where the seat raised up too much as it met the tank, that it might be a problem, though.
    Last edited by Dex Sinister; 06-02-2009 at 06:30 PM. Reason: add quote

Thanks Dex. I can't imagine trying to draw or fire from a moving motorcycle with any holster. Sounds like it may do the trick.

Quote Originally Posted by Dex Sinister View Post
    I ride. The end of the muzzle inside the holster just sits on the seat between your legs, just like it does when you sit down or drive a car. Not that you're going to be able to draw it, of course, unless you're off the bike, or have both feet on the ground and the bike in neutral since it's a two-hand draw.

I'd imagine that if you had a bike where the seat raised up too much as it met the tank, that it might be a problem, though.

I just got my smart carry holster yesterday
    I am "husky" build and I carry a Kel Tec PF9
    when I look in the mirror, looks like the grip is printing thru pants
    will try it on again tonight and readjust holster

Quote Originally Posted by hk boy View Post
    I just got my smart carry holster yesterday I am "husky" build and I carry a Kel Tec PF9
    when I look in the mirror, looks like the grip is printing thru pants will try it on again tonight and readjust holster
    The best advice is to wear the holster as low as possible - 4"-5" below your navel. The belt can be higher in the back (and in any case rides up because of the slope of one's buttocks). This applies to all the brands -- Smartcarry, Lightningwear, Thunderwear -- they all work alike and put the pistol in the same position(s).

You'll want to put the holster on over your outer shirt, so that the holster keeps the shirt from bunching and getting in the way of the draw. You can pull the tail of the shirt out of the holster in the back and tuck it in over the strap in the back. That keeps it from riding up above your pants when you bend over. Generally, slightly tighter adjustment is preferable to slightly looser.

Most people who have ever worn these type holsters find that while there can be a bit of a bulge at the end of the grip, it's usually with a full-frame weapon. However even with a full-frame pistol, no one else sees this as something that says "gun".

It is holster wearing-height dependent, though: You can create a bulge if you wear the holster high (say, just under the belt) instead of as low as possible.

I've carried a Kahr K40 (pretty close in dimensions to the PF9, except thicker) for years, including while being frisked by concert-security personnel, and never had a problem with concealment. [Of course, the same security personnel also missed the S&W 4516 .45 in my (ex-)wife's gun purse too.]
    Last edited by Dex Sinister; 06-07-2009 at 06:25 PM. Reason: typo correction

10. just wondering what do you all carry in this holster?
    Leas from the front and others will follow
    The man is just trying to keep a cracker down.

I've used SmartCarry and while it is very good at concealing a handgun even under a tucked in shirt, it is not a very fast draw, especially while sitting. IWB and OWB are a much better combination of concealability and quick draw for me.
    Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

Benjamin Franklin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast