1911 fun (sort of)

Thread: 1911 fun (sort of)

1911 fun (sort of)

Okay so i took my 1911 to the range for the first time and I'm in love. It was great. The only problem i had was the @#$% Blazer rounds (aluminum casings) my pistol chewed them up and jammed alot. I had other rounds with me and it didn't jam with them. I also bought an extra mag and it sucked so i took it back.

With the aluminum is this the case with them all or is it the pistol?

Me with my 1911 the first time at the range with it.

(RIA .45 cs)
    Thou shall not murder... Deut. 5:17 By definition murder is the taking of innocent life. If a criminal is coming at me, they are not innocent. Bang! Bang!

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerBang View Post
    Okay so i took my 1911 to the range for the first time and I'm in love. It was great. The only problem i had was the @#$% Blazer rounds (aluminum casings) my pistol chewed them up and jammed alot. I had other rounds with me and it didn't jam with them. I also bought an extra mag and it sucked so i took it back.

With the aluminum is this the case with them all or is it the pistol?

Me with my 1911 the first time at the range with it.

Yep you can't beat the trigger on a 1911. I love my Kimber. I've never tried the aluminum cased ammo in mine but have shot blazer brass through it without a problem. What brand of 1911? If it’s brand new it may feed the aluminum stuff better after the gun is broken in. What kind of jams were you getting with the aluminum stuff?

Also new mags sometimes need broken in also. What problem were you having with it? rounds not stripping off? Any new mag I get I load it up and let it sit for 3 days. This will break in the mag spring. If you can pick up a wilson combat mag. They are alittle pricey but top of the line mags.
    "When Government fears the people, it's liberty. When people fear the Government, it's tyranny."
    - Benjamin Franklin

My 1911 is a Rock Island.
    The jams were caused because the aluminum rounds weren't ejecting properly due to the fact that they got hung up. My pistol really chewed them up, they look very jagged when they came out.
    With the mag they weren't feeding right. I'll have to try leaving the mag loaded like you said next time. I've looked at Wilson and will probably invested in some soon.
    (RIA .45 cs)
    Thou shall not murder... Deut. 5:17 By definition murder is the taking of innocent life. If a criminal is coming at me, they are not innocent. Bang! Bang!

It doesn't pay to shoot cheap ammo. It's largely unreliable and can mung up your sidearm. Aluminum cases, although they can be loaded to acceptable tolerances and accuracy, are contraindicated for an automatic because the material can't hold up to the abuse delivered by the action. Save the aluminum stuff for your wheelgun, where the softer material won't be a detriment.

One man's opinion.
    NRA Life; GOA Life; CCRKBA Life; Trustee, NJCSD; F&AM: 32° & KT
    The Only Answer to a Bad Guy with a Gun - Is a Good Guy with a Gun!
    When Seconds Count...The Police are only MINUTES Away!

I have a Kimber Ultra Raptor and I try to stay away from the cheap ammo. I have used the Blazer Brass hardball with no problem.Never tried the Allumimum casings, though. Where you at in Florida, Im near Clermont.

There are certain things in life that should not be done cheaply. Something that burns rapidly and propels a projectile at life threatening speeds, should probably be of high quality (just my opinion). You spent some good money on a nice firearm, do yourself a favor and feed that weapon what it deserves.

Steve

I've always stayed away from Blazer aluminum rounds. I tried a few back in the 80's and had nothing but trouble with them. Even some Wheelguns have problems ejecting them. Some firearm manufactures even state not to use aluminum cases in their firearms. The best thing Blazer did was to come out with Brass cases.
    USAF Retired, CATM, SC CWP, NH NR CWP, NRA Benefactor
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

Quote Originally Posted by CCW357 View Post
    I have a Kimber Ultra Raptor and I try to stay away from the cheap ammo. I have used the Blazer Brass hardball with no problem.Never tried the Allumimum casings, though. Where you at in Florida, Im near Clermont.
    We live in East Orlando heading out to Cocoa

Very new to the firearms world and didn't realize that Blazer was considered the cheap stuff, but now that I know I WON'T be buying it again. Thanks to everyone for the great advice. It helps alot for a newbie like me.
    (RIA .45 cs)

There's a reason that the only ammo some people are occasionally finding in stock at Wal-mart is Blazer. I pass on it when I see it.
    "When the outflow exceeds the inflow, the upkeep becomes the downfall"

Wilson mags are the best, but you might want to try different ammo before getting rid of the mags you have. The best all around break-in ammo is Winchester white box 230gr. 500-750 rounds of white box will break your new .45 in and then it should eat about anything you feed it. Some .45s need a little slick-up by polishing the feed ramp and chamber. A quick job for your favorite gunsmith.

Good luck!