looking for a subcompact .40 - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: looking for a subcompact .40

1. Thanks for all of the good advice

, but i did have followup questions.

Would a .45 subcompact be less snappy than a .40? & where do you rent guns? The few dealers I've checked with didn't offer a trial run.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathias Jones View Post

Would a .45 subcompact be less snappy than a .40? & where do you rent guns? The few dealers I've checked with didn't offer a trial run.
    I think that it would depend on the gun. A well equipped range should have guns for rent.

I haven't fired a .45 subcompact so I can't provide any insight.

Yes, a lot of firing ranges will have guns to rent to fire at their range.

I don't know where you are located, but in the tri-state area of NY, NJ, CT, & PA, many gun ranges rent various guns for practice at their range, including subcompacts of .45 & .40 cal. A good way of finding the right gun to your liking.

If you are determined to get a subcompact, then the issue of whether which one has more of a snap shouldn't matter because it will just take you a little longer to train with and master its recoil.

My choices;
    • S&W Third Generation (CS40, 4013, 4014, 4040 (PD) or Shorty Forty)
    • SIG P239
    • Springfield XD Subcompact
    Know the law; don't ask, don't tell.
    NRA & UT Certified Instructor; CT, FL, NH, NV, OR, PA & UT CCW Holder
    Happy new 1984; 25 years behind schedule. Send lawyers, guns and money...the SHTF...

3" barreled .45 ACP pistols have been plagued with issues, they are very finicky about ammo. Right now you have few choices in a 3" .45 ACP. I believe you are limited to just the Para and the S&W CS45 presently.

When I went to renew my NV CFP last October I decided to put all of my subcompact 3rd generation S&W pistols on it; only had a pair of CS40s and a CS45 at the time. I have added a CS9 to my collection since then.

The CS45 would have issues cycling with the range provided ammo. I didn't have any issues using what I normally use at American Shooters (either American Eagle (Federal) or USA (Winchester Whitebox) or UMC (Remington)). Their ammo made my CS45 a jam-o-matic. My CS40 functioned flawlessly with their ammo and mine.

I attribute it to this. The tolerance is tighter on a 3" .45 ACP and the action has to cycle perfectly. The .45 ACP is also one of the longer mainstream pistol cartridges. You don't see this issue with .380 ACP, 9mm MAK, 9mm or .40 S&W as the cartridges are shorter. With longer .45 ACP pistols this isn't an issue since you have at least a half inch more travel in the slide when you to the 1911 Officer's ACP which is the defacto compact size for a .45 ACP.

Unless you can tinker around with what works with your shorter .45 ACP, I would stick to a 9mm or .40 S&W subcompact pistol; subcompact meaning the pistol has a barrel length of under 3.5"
    Know the law; don't ask, don't tell.
    NRA & UT Certified Instructor; CT, FL, NH, NV, OR, PA & UT CCW Holder
    Happy new 1984; 25 years behind schedule. Send lawyers, guns and money...the SHTF...

Since you mentioned a thumb safety as a high priority and wanting high reliability, I'd suggest you consider the S&W MP compacts, either 9mm or 40. They weigh in around 20 oz. You can choose to get a thumb safety, magazine disconnect (won't fire round in chamber if magazine is removed), and/or a built in key type lock. Also, you can buy it with only the safe action trigger like the Glock. I recently bought the MP 9 compact with the Crimson Trace laser sights, and highly recommend it.

I agree with others, go find a range and rent a couple guns and try different calibers before the final purchase. Then you can chose a gun wth the safety features you want, but also one that you can quickly put on target and achieve multiple hits.

Regards,
    Hawk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12