looking for a subcompact .40
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: looking for a subcompact .40

1. looking for a subcompact .40

Brand new member with a question about safeties, toddlers, and weapon selection.

Iím looking for as subcompact .40 caliber. This will be my first automatic handgun; therefore Iím a little unsure in what features I want. I spend a lot of time in the woods and on the water and would like a small lightweight sidearm with respectable firepower I can tote along. Also to note, when not in the field, the weapon will serve for home defense.

Considerations: Safety is a big one. My 3 year old accompanies me on some trips and heís bad about getting into things. Iím a responsible gun owner and safe, but Iím not sure if a particular safety or lock would provide an advantage and peace of mind. Is there anything in particular I should look for in a weapon? At home, I can easily keep the gun out of his reach, but on back country trips...

After some research I got settled on a Taurus Millennium Pro, but said research also brought up questions about the weaponís reliability. What I liked about the Taurus was the light weight (18.7oz), the thumb safety and the proprietary lock system that renders the weapon inoperable and the price is nice. BUT, after much reading on 3rd gen Millenniumís reliability, I donít completely trust that Iíll be satisfied with the weaponís function. Iím starting to look at other pistols, but Iím not sure how comfortable I am with their safety features or lack of safety features. My next choice would be Springfieldís XD subcompact. Should I get over not having a thumb safety available and go with the XD? & if I go with the XD and donít have a lockable weapon, what do you do with a weapon when sleeping in the backcountry with a 3 year old? If I go with the XD or Glock, Iíd have to have to carry a separate trigger lock when sleeping in the tent.

Suggestions?

Thanks for any help in the matter.

XD's and Glock's are very reliable as you probably know.

Safety concern's. Trigger locks, I find, to be limiting unless used for long term storage. You're not supposed to use a trigger on a loaded firearm. A locked small case (even a nylon one) should keep your toddler from operating the weapon and still give you quick access if needed.

How comfortable are you sleeping with it on your person? In a good, level 2 holster it will be there when you need it. And keep it away from the kid's hands. Holster choice is important as well.

Basically, if it's not on your person, it's in a locked case.

Weapon choice: Both the XD and Glocks are easy to operate and work on. You won't go wrong with either one.

I own a Taurus pt140 pro great gun 3500-4000 rds through it couple hic-ups but was ammo not gun.
    Taurus also has built in lock. You can't go wrong with xd or glock

Glock 27... Completely safe unless you pull the trigger with one in the pipe. Saw a brand new G27 new in box on Gunsamerica.com for $475.00 plus shipping. It has already sold but they can be had for under $500 if you keep an eye out.

Keep it on you... I wonder if a 3 year old could rack the slide on a Glock 27 to charge the weapon??? Probably not but better safe than sorry. I would carry it on you at all times.

Quote Originally Posted by mistertaco View Post
    XD's and Glock's are very reliable as you probably know.

Safety concern's. Trigger locks, I find, to be limiting unless used for long term storage. You're not supposed to use a trigger on a loaded firearm. A locked small case (even a nylon one) should keep your toddler from operating the weapon and still give you quick access if needed.

How comfortable are you sleeping with it on your person? In a good, level 2 holster it will be there when you need it. And keep it away from the kid's hands. Holster choice is important as well.

Weapon choice: Both the XD and Glocks are easy to operate and work on. You won't go wrong with either one.
    +1

I have yet to go camping with the kids since I started carrying, but when that day comes, my Glock will definately be attached to me. Rendering it inoperable does just that, and in the heat of the moment, you don't want to be fiddling with a locked case or locking mechanism.

As for the thumb safety, that is also another step that I care not to deal with when I must use the weapon. A Glock will fire when the trigger is pulled, and that is it. Drop it, throw it against the wall, drag it behind your truck...YouTube - Glock Trigger Torture Test It will not fire unless the trigger is pulled. And since you can't pull the trigger when the gun is properly holstered, you have nothing to worry about.
    The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. - Thomas Jefferson

+1 on the 27. She's my baby.

I have a Beretta 9000 F in .40 ...and it can be yours if the price is right. Just don't tell my wife.... But seriously... It is a great little gun. Here is some info on it from wikipedia:
    Beretta 9000 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

One thing you will find with firing a lot of different sub compacts is they can be kind of snappy. So really, my best advice would be to get out to a range where you can try a bunch of different types and see how they fit you. You may decided that .40 is not your thing, maybe 9mm would be better, or maybe .45. Personally, I prefer .45. For me it could be that the first gun I fired was my dad's 1911. I've fired 9mm, I have fired .380, and I own and have fired my .40, but I like the .45. I have a G30, and it seems like no matter how long it has been between times being to the range, I can always put it right where I want it. My .40, well, not so much... So, I would say time to hit the range.

Quote Originally Posted by mistertaco View Post

I totally agree with both of these comments.

I agree with the above poster in regards to renting and trying different guns to see which one you are comfortable with. I will like to add that the subcompact versions for 9mm, .40 and above is not a gun for beginners, due to the recoil and practice needed to master the "follow through" shots. I advise to go with full frame models in those calibers. I also recommend the glock. It's the easiest to use and very very reliable!

9mm vs. .40 vs. .357sig vs. .45????? It's about the placement of the shots that matter, not necessarily the caliber.

11. Quote Originally Posted by brickler View Post
    I......, but I like the .45. I have a G30, and it seems like no matter how long it has been between times being to the range, I can always put it right where I want it.
    I like my G30 for similar reasons.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast