The Desert Eagle Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Desert Eagle Thread

Thumbs up The Desert Eagle Thread

MR9400RB
    .40S&W "Baby" Desert Eagle Pistol (COMPACT)

Just picked up one of these... this is a friggin TOTALLY AWESOME piece of equipment! :D

This "Baby" Desert Eagle pistol has slide safety, decocker. It is a double action/single action pistol with 10-round magazine. Please note that the .40S&W compact model has always and only been offered with a 10-round magazine.

This black steel model is nicknamed the "compact" Baby Eagle. It is the smallest of the Baby Eagle models.

MΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Beautiful gun! What'd that set you back? I don't know anything about D.E.'s...how reliable are they?
    Victory rewards not the army that fires the most rounds, but who is the more accurate shot. ---Unknown

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by PascalFleischman View Post
    Beautiful gun! What'd that set you back? I don't know anything about D.E.'s...how reliable are they?
    For the compact .40 $449 with one 10rd mag from Sportmans Warehouse here in Portland. The DE are supposed to be incredibly reliable (gotta be as the Israeli's don't want any hiccups when capp'n terrorists) and it is indeed very well built. Smoothest action on the trigger that I have EVER felt in a pistol without doing special upgrades.:)

Ya just gotta touch one of these and I assure you... you're taking it home.
    Last edited by doublenutz; 12-11-2007 at 07:19 PM.
    MΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Nice

I considered one instead of my CZ-40. Felt good (but CZ was better for me), price was up a bit (although still seems reasonable) and I thought a lot of what I liked was the carryover from its big brother's reputation. For the money though, it seems to be a short list item when thinking of .40's. One reviewer commented that it has a somewhat rougher look to it than some of the S&W, CZ or Taurus comparable models.
    Reality, DEAL with IT!

Quote Originally Posted by doublenutz View Post
    For the compact .40 $449 with one 10rd mag from Sportmans Warehouse here in Portland. The DE are supposed to be incredibly reliable (gotta be as the Israeli's don't want any hiccups when capp'n terrorists) and it is indeed very well built. Smoothest action on the trigger that I have EVER felt in a pistol without doing special upgrades.:)

Ya just gotta touch one of these and I assure you... you're taking it home.
    Nice gun and the price is less than what i figured one would cost.Please post a range report if you would,and enjoy!

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by ecocks View Post
    I considered one instead of my CZ-40. Felt good (but CZ was better for me), price was up a bit (although still seems reasonable) and I thought a lot of what I liked was the carryover from its big brother's reputation. For the money though, it seems to be a short list item when thinking of .40's. One reviewer commented that it has a somewhat rougher look to it than some of the S&W, CZ or Taurus comparable models.

Yes true, if you mean the physical appearance, as it is a matt flat black steel, like all DE's except for the chrome models like the "...Point Five Zero Desert Eagle"- in the words and accent of Bullet Tooth Tony.

I purchased it at the same time my buddy purchased his Taurus and then we compared notes (guns) on each after. He's is a bit crushed:( and he is not a full week into ownership and as of lastnight he is ready to sell his brand new Taurus to get into a Baby DE Compact.
    MΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Just learned while doing a search on the web that the Baby Eagle is actually either nicknamed or called "the Jericho".
    MΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

No mistake

Please don't think I didn't like it. The budget led me to go for the CZ (also black finished, I dislike chrome finishes myself), mags and a load of ammo instead. Simple priorities was the only focal point of the decision. If I had a different budget on another day the decision could have well been for the Baby. It was on my short list. Next on the list though is probably the CZ-P01 or a 5" .45. Someone else posted a full-size Springfield pic link in their signature and it looked nice. Maybe I'll open a thread on a full-sized .45 discussion to get the short-list going.

Re: Jericho - They market under that name in some countries.
    Last edited by ecocks; 12-12-2007 at 05:41 PM. Reason: typo correction
    Reality, DEAL with IT!

Quote Originally Posted by JC40 View Post
    Nice gun and the price is less than what i figured one would cost.Please post a range report if you would,and enjoy!
    RANGE REPORT:

.40 Compact Baby Eagle 3.64" Barrel Length

Went to the Clackamas County Public Safety Center and Indoor Firing Range for LEO's and Public members.

Magazine loading- 10rds very easy

Fired 200 rds of .40SW 180 Grain FMJ at 5yds, 10yds, and 25yds
    This gun feels very comfortable in my hand. even with the smaller pistol grip that comes on the compact. There is a small extension on the magazine to catch your little finger but I suspect this is really only a feature for comfort if you have small to medium size hands. I had my wife hold the DE and in her small hands she found the pistol grip felt better to her than my Walther PPKS. I have a medium sized hand and the DE fit me like a comfortable glove.

At both 5 and 10yds I was able to keep nice 3" groups on a standard silhouette target. This was really very easy to do as the recoil was, to my surprise, really low. I think the recoil is due primarily to the weight of the steel, which is not excessive but made the compact Baby Eagle VERY WELL BALANCED .

At 25yds I was very impressed with the accuracy at that distance for a compact. I had all but 3 of 50 rounds I put down range on target and inside the silhouette and a group of roughly 10"-12" vertical and 5"-10" horizontal. This all considering I had just fired 150 rounds through this already over about 60 minutes.

All 200 rounds feed easily with not a single hiccup and no FTF's.

Trigger pull in my opinion is an absolute mechanical marvel it is very smooth. However, if there is any drawback- From my 1911's and Daewoo DP51 I am used to Single or Fast actions and expect my first trigger pull to go as fast as the last. Once the safety is engaged on the DE's it automatically goes back to double action which is more of a minor annoyance for me and contributed to the 3 rounds outside the silhouette as I first jerked the trigger expecting a single or fast action. It will take a little bit to get accustomed to unless of course there is a fast action modification somewhere out there like the one Kimber adopted from Deawoo (fat chance I know but, hey ya neva know!).

Overall, I think I have fired only one gun that I enjoy more and it was my buddies older model CZ 75 (we've nicknamed it "Butta"... it is as smooth as butta) but his CZ is not practical as a Concealed carry and more of a carbine than a hand gun. So as far as compact concealed carry's is concerned the Baby Eagle .40 is in my opinion a 9.8 on a scale of 1-10. I love it and I believe this will be my personal concealed side arm for a very long time.
    Last edited by doublenutz; 12-13-2007 at 01:06 AM.
    MΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by doublenutz View Post

MR9400RB
    .40S&W "Baby" Desert Eagle Pistol (COMPACT)

Just picked up one of these... this is a friggin TOTALLY AWESOME piece of equipment! :D

This "Baby" Desert Eagle pistol has slide safety, decocker. It is a double action/single action pistol with 10-round magazine. Please note that the .40S&W compact model has always and only been offered with a 10-round magazine.

This black steel model is nicknamed the "compact" Baby Eagle. It is the smallest of the Baby Eagle models.

Can it be carried cocked and locked like a 1911?

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast