Best all around Handgun - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Best all around Handgun

I would have to go with my S&W 686 .357 Mag. Carries well, always shoots, easy to take care of, will handle any
    load I place in the cylinder, and can work as a nightstand gun, car gun, where ever I need it.
    "Never advance cheerfully on your late opponent without reloading. You may have used your last round, and he may not be properly dead and still spiteful." Major Hugh Pollard

I've been shooting and carrying 1911 frames for over 40 years. I bought a Dan Wesson Bobtail, and will buy another one soon. It's really an outstanding piece.

Only when our arms are sufficient, without doubt, can we be certain, without doubt, that they will never be employed....... John F. Kennedy
    Life Member NRA Life Member Marine Corps League

Second that Old Zebra mine is the enfrocer with a recon frame I prefer the surefire though only use the light on duty

5. I have A 9MM Baretta very accurate never had a problem. love it.

S&W 357 with a 4 inch barrel, can shoot easy 38s or hand cannon 357s...

The best?

Like I said its the nighthawk for me. But the best is a sum of many factors. How big are you? How do you dress? What type of threats are you most often going to face? What is your experience and skill level? What are you used to carrying?

I carried an M9 in the Corps for years and found it lacking (admittedly most problems where with the militarys over used magazines and and that bad nato fmj ammo couldnt ,didnt, stop a stray starving Iraqi dog ).

Since ive carried glocks smith J frames and a list too long to get into. The XD gets good marks because next to my nighthawk ( or other comperable 1911) it would be my choice to bet my life on. Great weapon very sturdy (for a "plastic wondergun") and I like the way it shoots.

If your not expertly expertly trainned and/or you dont get or cant afford a lot of range time. I put at least 600 rounds a week through my carry gun. I would strongly recommed the XD, Glock or the Kahr or a smith J frame
    THREE REASONS

1)Price
    2)ease of use (no external safty to remember to use
    3) because they are very common finding a holster that fits your lifestyle should be easy

Caliber choice is much the same. There are two rules to remember.

First -If you have to throw a rock, you
    might as well throw a big rock. Thats why I carry a 45 But when my little sister got her first CWP I went
    out and got her a Smith J frame because her hands are smaller than mine she doesnt shoot nearly as much
    and she is smaller and it would be hard for her to conceal a larger weapon.

Second- The big roc is only better if you can hit the attacker with it. You are much better off to hit
    him with a .22 than miss him with a .45

Quote Originally Posted by cdx1129q View Post
    I have A 9MM Baretta very accurate never had a problem. love it.
    I like my "wonder 9" too. Been through three barrels (probably over 30k rounds) and it still shoots great. It's a nice balance between stopping power and firepower.
    Avidshooter (Texas)
    "The real destroyer of the liberties of the people is he who spreads among them bounties, donations and benefits." -- Plutarch

Quote Originally Posted by Desertrat View Post
    I would have to go with my S&W 686 .357 Mag. Carries well, always shoots, easy to take care of, will handle any
    load I place in the cylinder, and can work as a nightstand gun, car gun, where ever I need it.
    +1 It is the best considering all the parameters.

10. Real guns are not made from plastic.....

K

11. if price was a factor I would choose the S&W M&P series. If price wasn't a factor than I would say Sig Sauer. When I was on active duty assigned to a non Spec Ops unit I carried the M9 Beretta and while it was useful (sometimes) I wasn't a fan. When I was assigned to Spec Ops units and as a reservist I carry the M11 Sig P228 and find it very comfortable, accurate, and reliable. When it comes to getting a gun with/without a thumb safety is personal preference. The same thing when it comes to an external hammer. If I had the money i would go buy a P228 since I could decock the hamer and am used to switching the thumb safety as I draw from the holster.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast