glock troubles - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: glock troubles

Quote Originally Posted by RRGlock23 View Post
    Glock fan, what is the best brand ammo for the Glock 23 40 s&w ?

I used car-bon 9mm 124 grain + p for smith wesson

You will be the one who decides what ammo is best for you. Through trial and error, I have found my preferences in ammo. There are several factors in determining what ammo is "best". Consider the following:

What the ammo is being used for (SD, plinking, competition, target shooting, etc.)
    Performance in the individual firearm. (Certain cartridges work better than others though they may be the same caliber and bullet type)
    Your individual shooting style and skill level. (Depending on your personal abilities, a lighter load may be better for you)
    Budget (Many people subscribe to the school of thought that the most expensive ammo is the "best". I personally feel that you will need to spend some decent money for quality ammo, though it doesn't need to be the most expensive.)

My suggestion would be to purchase various loads and see what works best for you for the intended purposes. A very important, and often overlooked step in the ammo selection process is test firing. If you carry a firearm for SD, you should fire a box or two of your SD ammo on a regular basis. This ensures that the rounds function properly in your firearm and builds confidence in the round.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

I might add that you want to try a variety of ammo for another reason: Just as a car will perform better with one brand of gasoline over another, frequently a firearm will demonstrate a particular preference for one ammo over another - better accuracy, more reliable feeding, more comfortable to shoot, whatever. Even within a particular breed of gun - a Glock, in this instance - and in the same model, one gun may perform better with this ammo than with that.

Although I'm sure someone else here with more experience can explain it better than I can, it's because when a gun fires it "vibrates" a certain way, and every gun/ammo combination will vibrate differently, even if microscopically. These vibrations affect the way the round exits the barrel, and has an impact (sorry!) on accuracy.

As GlockFan said, knowing in your heart that a certain gun/ammo combination will absolutely go where you expect it to go is a definite confidence builder.
    NRA Life; GOA Life; CCRKBA Life; Trustee, NJCSD; F&AM: 32 & KT
    The Only Answer to a Bad Guy with a Gun - Is a Good Guy with a Gun!
    When Seconds Count...The Police are only MINUTES Away!

4. I am new here and want to say Howdy but also wanted to say..I CCW a G23 and use Speer Gold Dot 165GR JHP in my Glock and have no troubles at all. This is my second G23 (sold my first one like a dummy)! I polish my feed ramps on all my semi autos by hand using nothing but Mothers Polishing compound and a little muscle. Smoothes out all the little fine micro pitting and sharp edges of the feed ramp. Great site here, found you by accident while surfing.

Quote Originally Posted by yogiboobooranger View Post
    I am new here and want to say Howdy but also wanted to say..I CCW a G23 and use Speer Gold Dot 165GR JHP in my Glock and have no troubles at all. This is my second G23 (sold my first one like a dummy)! I polish my feed ramps on all my semi autos by hand using nothing but Mothers Polishing compound and a little muscle. Smoothes out all the little fine micro pitting and sharp edges of the feed ramp. Great site here, found you by accident while surfing.
    Welcome to the site!! Nice choice in firearms... Good load choice too!!

I've never had a problem with any Glock or any ammuntion fired through them.

This is a peculiar case, which I personally find interesting due to the reliability of Glock firearms.

Glock is not my favorite, but I wouldn't hesitate to carry one into battle or into a street fight.
    "When a government robs Peter to pay Paul it will alway's have the support of Paul" George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by Ropadope View Post
    I've never had a problem with any Glock or any ammuntion fired through them.

This is a peculiar case, which I personally find interesting due to the reliability of Glock firearms.

Glock is not my favorite, but I wouldn't hesitate to carry one into battle or into a street fight.

I've personally experienced a few problems with Glock magazines. All of the Glocks that I worked on that had "problems" were due to folks using aftermarket parts or doing stuff to their Glock that they weren't supposed to. Actually had a guy bring a G 22 to me that had swapped a polymer and metal pin.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

8. I use Winchester 155 grain for target. You can get them at Walmart for about $30 per 100. For SD I am using Hornady TAP FPD. When the Hornady Critical Defense come out for .40, I am getting those. I have done my research and those look best. Take a look at these sites:

An insightful opinion on various ammo for all calibers
    Ammunition For The Self-Defense Firearm

Ballistic gel testing of various brands in all calibers
    Brass Fetcher Ballistic Gelatin Testing

I came back across this thread while surfing around the site. I now believe that I was the problem, not the gun..Being that the gun was pretty new when I bought it, the last round was difficult to get into the magazine. I think that I was causing it to jam by not inserting the round properly. When I load the mags. now, after the last round is in I hit the magazine on the bottom with my hand and that seems to cause the rounds to settle into their proper position. you can definately feel the difference if you try to strip the round by hand out of the mag.

My wife and I have 7 Glocks, never had any operational trouble with any of them, but one thing I do when readying the guns to shoot is load the mags completly then rack a round and as a rule I do not top up the mag with the last round, the mag go's in easyer, and its not so tough on the mag spring if left that way

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketgeezer View Post
    My wife and I have 7 Glocks, never had any operational trouble with any of them, but one thing I do when readying the guns to shoot is load the mags completly then rack a round and as a rule I do not top up the mag with the last round, the mag go's in easyer, and its not so tough on the mag spring if left that way
    Say what?

You can leave a mag fully loaded for years and it isn't "tough" on the spring. What wears out springs is cycling them and what damages springs is exceeding their elastic limit (over stretching or compressing). Simply loading a mag to capacity and leaving it alone does neither of those things.

ETA: http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...7/ai_99130369/
    "I believe we should achieve a national standard on gun control, and that standard should be none whatsoever."

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast