S&W Sigma Trigger Troubles
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S&W Sigma Trigger Troubles

Unhappy S&W Sigma Trigger Troubles

I have a couple of problems that may be related. The first and most important problem is that I can't hit an 18" target from 5 yards

But thankfully, I think that's related to a sticky trigger. When I squeeze the trigger, not only is it a heavy trigger and a long trigger (those I can live with), but it seems to be sticky, like I'm not lubing in the right spots or something. It's like there's plastic rubbing on plastic somewhere. I realize this is a cheap gun, but has anybody else experienced this and found a fix for it short of replacing the entire trigger mechanism with some aftermarket outfit?

I think every state should secede from Washington, DC, then we'll have them surrounded.

Quote Originally Posted by milkmood View Post
    I have a couple of problems that may be related. The first and most important problem is that I can't hit an 18" target from 5 yards

But thankfully, I think that's related to a sticky trigger. When I squeeze the trigger, not only is it a heavy trigger and a long trigger (those I can live with), but it seems to be sticky, like I'm not lubing in the right spots or something. It's like there's plastic rubbing on plastic somewhere. I realize this is a cheap gun, but has anybody else experienced this and found a fix for it short of replacing the entire trigger mechanism with some aftermarket outfit?
    I for one am not impressed with sigma triggers.

Quote Originally Posted by theicemanmpls View Post
    I for one am not impressed with sigma triggers.
    Right...me either. So any suggestions?

I think every state should secede from Washington, DC, then we'll have them surrounded.

Best thing to do would be to have a competent gunsmith re-work the trigger. You could check Brownell's to see if they sell an aftermarket trigger for the gun as well.

My ultimate suggestion would be to ditch the Sigma and get a better quality firearm. If you want to stick with S&W, there's the M&P. Otherwise there are a lot of other options out there.

Good luck!

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

Yeah, I was eyeballing a Taurus PT145 yesterday... big bullets, higher mag capacity than a 1911, compact frame...great price. Trigger is way different. I'd also consider an M&P 45. I'm sure the bottom line is...you get what you pay for, as with anything in life.

The Sigma might make a good backup.

7. My Smith Wesson Sigma 9mm has no problem with trigger. Very good
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by milkmood View Post
    Yeah, I was eyeballing a Taurus PT145 yesterday... big bullets, higher mag capacity than a 1911, compact frame...great price. Trigger is way different. I'd also consider an M&P 45. I'm sure the bottom line is...you get what you pay for, as with anything in life.

The Sigma might make a good backup.
    Amen on the M&P45 I love mine. I did the rework on the trigger myself for here in MA they come with a trigger pull of 10+ lbs. I now have it at 6lbs and it works for me.

They are worth the money...

I read too many negative things about the Sigma to even be bothered.

Peace.
    You can give peace a chance alright..

I'll seek cover in case it goes badly..

I spent a couple hours at the Ben Avery range today, and about 250 rounds through it, figured out I can adapt to the friction in the long draw of the trigger. If I draw half way, until it's a hair trigger, then take my aim...I can hit the target just fine, very consistently, 10 yards into 8" circle, and out to 15 yards within 12" circle...so even though I'm not terribly impressed with the trigger still...I now have a usable gun the I feel more comfortable with.

I'm still thinking about trading it up to a Taurus PT145. Nice little pistol...10+1 in a compact .45 seems like a plan to me, and the price is right!

If its a new gun, try using a dry-fire dummy round (as in Snap Cap) to protect the firing pin, then drive your wife crazy with about 500 to 600 dry snaps. This usually smoothes out a new trigger. Then consider a trigger job. This worked for me with a new Kimber and a Ruger SP101; besides ending up with great trigger control, you get a "Popeye" trigger finger!

I have three sigmas and have posted the following advise on many other sites.....

Wolf Spring out of newtown square, pa. offers a lighter weight striker spring. this installed part will lighten the trigger from about 10 lbs to approx. 7 lbs. It will make a difference in the smooth operation of the pull as well as an overall improvement in accuaracy. I am not sure that practice dry firing will lighten the factory trigger to a large extent and in fact the practice may not lighten it at all but make your trigger finger become accustomed to the 10 lb pull. Yes matelp the popeye finger.

Furthermore, the new spring may deliver more consistent dependability as opposed to adjusting, cutting or tampering with the existing spring. A lighter trigger pull and an increase in the price may diminish the endless bashing of this firearm. Even with the heavy pull, there are many happy owners of this firearm. Smith and Wesson is a reputable company and if this gun had large numbers of serious problems, S&W would pull it from the market all together or revise the mechanics which they have done already with the updated version. Taurus revised the Mil Pro three times after the disasters of the first generation having problems with cracked frames in the 45ACP model. If only they could improve their service department and bring that facet of their business to the same level of smith and wesson. I have been fortunate, my three taurus firearms have not been in need of factory service.
    Last edited by c45man; 03-04-2010 at 09:46 PM. Reason: spelling

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast