jammed brass
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: jammed brass

jammed brass

I fired my Taurus 24/7 and the round won't eject, tried racking the slide it doesn't move, now I have a sick feeling in my gut.

can anyone help

Thanks in advance

The first round went bang? but failed to eject, correct? The fired brass is stuck in the chamber?

The slide is stuck in the closed and locked position?

If it's a new gun I'd say take it back to the dealer. If it's old I'd take it to a gun smith and make sure he/she finds out why it's stuck... I'd be a little nervous with that gun...

Good luck
    Peace...
    You can give peace a chance alright..

I'll seek cover in case it goes badly..

Well looking at google there seems to be a fair amount of Taurus's with this issue. If you google "Taurus won't eject brass." you might find something, a quick look by me only produced more questions than answers. Personally I'd try and clear it out with a slim knife very gently. It could be bad ammo, and it simply swelled up. Of course the safest method would be to take it to a gun smith.

On the upside, if you do that google search like I said, this thread is at the top of the list. You're practically famous.
    Accipere quam facere praestat injuriam

If under warranty then for sure back to the dealer. If not then get some WD-40 or something like it in the chamber area. Keep it wet with that for at least an hour or so and try racking the slide again. Good luck.

Taurus products are guaranteed for life, so sending it back is not problem. Personally, I'd try one thing to clear it and if that
    didn't do it I would definitely send it back. I would spray some WD40 down the barrel with the barrel facing up and let it run
    down inside the barrel to the stuck casing and let it sit for about 10-15 minutes. Then I would take a wooden dowel rod that will easily fit into the shell casing and GENTLY but firmly push it into the stuck shell casing and see if you can push the breach open. If you can not easily dislodge the stuck casing then I would send it back just like it is. Either way, it needs to go back
    to the factory/service center for evaluation as to what caused the problem in the first place. They will need to know what brand of ammo you were using and all of the particulars on it, factory, reload -- everything. Good luck.
    Kill them all and let God sort them out!

Thanks for all the replies, WD40 no go, calling Taurus Monday, glad they are in my State

will give follow up as things progress

While waiting on calling Taurus try a wooden dowel in the barrel and lightly tap it with a hammer. If it's split or swollen it should come out. If it's something that came loose in the lower it won't budge.
    USAF Retired, CATM, SC CWP, NH NR CWP, NRA Benefactor
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

Quote Originally Posted by Red Hat View Post
    While waiting on calling Taurus try a wooden dowel in the barrel and lightly tap it with a hammer. If it's split or swollen it should come out. If it's something that came loose in the lower it won't budge.
    HI,
    When I rack the slide, it doesn't move much, I can barely see the primer end of the shell looking at the extraction port, like you said it won't budge.

45's are a locked breech action, so pounding on a rod would not open the action if it was fully closed. In your case where you say that the action will open enough to see the brass then you could use a rod if you had the action opened as much as you could. Might take two people to perform this act. When using a hammer on a Taurus you must try to resist the erge of pounding the gun into little pieces. No matter what, they do have some limited trade-in value.

Well I sent off to Taurus, now it's hurry up and wait, I'll give a progress report when I get the verdict

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast