Ruger SP-101
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruger SP-101

Ruger SP-101

I have a Ruger SP-101 and I would like to make the trigger feel smoother (ie lighter with less tension). What do you recommed I do?

I have a hammer that I was considering getting bobbed. This would facilitate a better concealed carry gun. What do you guys and gals think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    www.holstershock.com

Tell 'em CDR Glock sent ya!

Consult a few gunsmiths and make sure there are no cons to doing that. How is the trigger break for single action?

Peace...
    You can give peace a chance alright..

I'll seek cover in case it goes badly..

Quote Originally Posted by 6shootercarry View Post
    ~ How is the trigger break for single action?

Peace...
    6SC has a good question, The Trigger for that 101 has to be very close to my Redhawk. I found that shotting in Single Action is MUCH smoother and lighter. I can't rememebr the last time I shoot in double action...
    Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by ricbak View Post
    6SC has a good question, The Trigger for that 101 has to be very close to my Redhawk. I found that shotting in Single Action is MUCH smoother and lighter. I can't rememebr the last time I shoot in double action...
    My groups are much tighter in single action.

4lbs, 2oz was the average break on mine with the Lyman gauge. If you teach yourself to use your left hand thumb to cock the hammer and practice you can get quick shots off without breaking grip and coming too far off target. Come to think of it, I could use some wheel gun practice.

Just my 2 pennies for thought...

Peace...
    You can give peace a chance alright..

I'll seek cover in case it goes badly..

Ruger SP-101

Quote Originally Posted by 6shootercarry View Post
    Consult a few gunsmiths and make sure there are no cons to doing that. How is the trigger break for single action?

Peace...
    For SA, it is excellent. I want a smoother feel with a DAO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    www.holstershock.com

Tell 'em CDR Glock sent ya!

7. If you spend enough money with a good gunsmith, you'll be amazed at the doubleaction pull that is possible. I had a Ruger Security 6 that had been fully tuned(gave it to my son). That revolver has around 2# single action and 6-8# double action pull. Literally, the double action is as light as most single action pulls on this type of revolver. The bobbed hammer has just enough tip to thumb cock if you rock it back a little with the trigger.

My SP101 has no hammer, a little hammer would be better, so you could shoot single action. Mine is DAO. I personally like a heavy trigger. I've sold a lot of Colts over the years because the triggers were too light. The S & W and Ruger have always been right for me.

My wife carries a SP-101 (2 1/4" Barrel, .357 mag). When she first got it, I thought you needed a winch in dbl-action.

I took it to my local gunsmith who simply ordered a "spring kit" (Cost: $20) for it. The kit came with two "softer" springs. He installed the harder of the two, which was about 33% "softer" than the original. He also did a little polishing of the mechanism. It now is very reasonable to pull.

I think he ordered the kit directly from Ruger. He got it in about a week and the gun was in his shop for one day.

My total cost, including the kit, was $50.

Originally posted by 6shootercarry

My groups are much tighter in single action.
    Mine too, but I rarely practice that way anymore. The SP-101 is a close-quarters defensive weapon, so I'd rather get good at using the double-action trigger. Tight SA groups in range-based shooting probably won't help much in a self-defense situation.

Great little gun, the SP-101 !

I like mine as is ..

I like the way mine is at first it took a little time and shot it a bunch alittle polishing would make a differance ! I put a spring kit in my GP100 6 in. 8 & 10 lbs. any lighter and you will have problems w/miss fires . Some ammo have a harder prime body and will fail ya !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast