1911 feeding issues - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 1911 feeding issues

Quote Originally Posted by Red Hat View Post
    It sounds like the magazine. If it only happened once it probably a fluke. Keeping the magazine loaded didn't cause any problems since you can keep them loaded for decades without spring damage. Take the magazine apart, clean and oil it then run some rounds through it. If it still does it occasionally then try another magazine.
    I had the same issue with 2 old mags with my Colt Officer's ACP. The lips on the top of the mags get deformed with use and they allow the case to move too freely when feeding and ejecting. I swapped out the original extractor with the Wilson as it was looking worn thinking that was the issue, and had the same ejecting/feeding issue, but less frequently. I spoke to my dealer (a trusted 1911 guru) and he handed me a new Wilson magazine and said "I bet you the cost of this magazine it will fix your issue". I bought the magazine and came back 2 days later for another one.

Try another good new magazine to eliminate that as a variable.

Peace...
    You can give peace a chance alright..

I'll seek cover in case it goes badly..

I went over to 1911forum.org and posted this same issue. One of the posters who owns a custom shop provided me with a drawing of how the extractor should be modified. Basically I just need to break the bottom edge of the inside of the hook (both surfaces) and the corner at the bottom of the hook. I'm going to give that a try. I also plan to replace the guide rod with the original two-piece for now (assuming I can find it), and eventually put a GI-length setup in it once I get this issue resolved.

Thanks everyone for your help. I'll post back once I get the repairs made and test-fire it.

SC Tiger just wanted to chime in on this- I have the same gun it's about a year old and when I did have a problem I asked the guy at my range about it and he said all 1911's are designed to use ball ammo (was using speer gold dots) he recommended I use the cmc power 8's and corbon power ball ammo. I must admit it was expensive testing with this setup but have had no malfunctions . I figure some expensive ammo and a few mags is easier than sending the gun out for smithing so this is my setup.

Alway's use steel magazines. Wilson and Chip McCormick. Power 8's and Wilson 47d's are pretty much the Gold standard with 1911 enthusiasts and those that have had to use a 1911 in harms way.

Avoid all the others. Whatever is supplied with new 1911's I generally just purchase 4-6 more Wilsons or CMC Power 8's and 10's. All the rest reside in a box for range use, if they are still reliable.
    "When a government robs Peter to pay Paul it will alway's have the support of Paul" George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by homershoots View Post
    SC Tiger just wanted to chime in on this- I have the same gun it's about a year old and when I did have a problem I asked the guy at my range about it and he said all 1911's are designed to use ball ammo (was using speer gold dots) he recommended I use the cmc power 8's and corbon power ball ammo. I must admit it was expensive testing with this setup but have had no malfunctions . I figure some expensive ammo and a few mags is easier than sending the gun out for smithing so this is my setup.
    That is true with the original design but most modern iterations have the design modified slightly (wider feed ramp on the barrel) and are able to feed hollowpoints fairly well. That said if you have a gun/ammo/magazine combo that works for you stick with it. Some guns just don't like some ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by SC Tiger View Post
    That is true with the original design but most modern iterations have the design modified slightly (wider feed ramp on the barrel) and are able to feed hollowpoints fairly well. That said if you have a gun/ammo/magazine combo that works for you stick with it. Some guns just don't like some ammo.

Amen... Try it and keep it if it works...

I switched over to the Hornady Critical Defense 185gr .45 ammo for carry in the 1911 and the M&P45. In fact I have it in .38 spec, .357 Mag, and .40S&W as well. The projectile shape is more like ball ammo and feeds well. It expanded very well and consistently in all testing and was not guilty of over penetrating. I'd rather not increase the risk of through shots. My 2 pennies...

How did the test fire go?

Peace...

Quote Originally Posted by 6shootercarry View Post
    Amen... Try it and keep it if it works...

I switched over to the Hornady Critical Defense 185gr .45 ammo for carry in the 1911 and the M&P45. In fact I have it in .38 spec, .357 Mag, and .40S&W as well. The projectile shape is more like ball ammo and feeds well. It expanded very well and consistently in all testing and was not guilty of over penetrating. I'd rather not increase the risk of through shots. My 2 pennies...

How did the test fire go?

Peace...
    I'm still tinkering with it. I've got a new baby (4-1/2 months old) so it's just not a priority right now. I got the radius on the extractor but I need to clean it up and then polish the filed area with the dremel.

I'll post on here when I get it finished and do a test fire.

I just got my 1911 fixed, it was the barrel bushing at the muzzle. it needed a bit of polishing, believe it or not it was not feeding in the chamber and getting stuck.

Thumbs up Glock Reliability

Quote Originally Posted by sar-nut View Post
    I just got my 1911 fixed, it was the barrel bushing at the muzzle. it needed a bit of polishing, believe it or not it was not feeding in the chamber and getting stuck.
    That's a problem I've never had with any of my Glocks.

Quote Originally Posted by G50AE View Post
    That's a problem I've never had with any of my Glocks.
    Some people simply do not like Glocks and would prefer something else.

Some people like myself, enjoy problem solving and like to work things out and tinker. To each their own... Glock is not the answer to every gun related question...

I've never had any of those problems with my M&Ps...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast