1911 feeding issues
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1911 feeding issues

1911 feeding issues

I have a Springfield Armory 1911 Loaded that I purchased about 8 years ago. At my last range session I had a jam where it appeared the round (a Speer Gold Dot 230gr JHP) went nose-up into the barrel hood. I would have tried to make it repeat this problem but I didn't have any more of this ammo with me and it exhibited no problems with the Speer Lawman 230gr FMJs that I was shooting.

I think at least part of the issue may be the extractor. It is a Wilson Bulletproof extractor that I installed several years ago. The instructions had a note about filing an angle onto the claw, but I did not do this as I decided to try it without this modification and had no issues until now. Should I make this modification to the weapon? Does anyone else out there know what I am talking about?

Here are the specifics:
    Springfield Armory 1911A1, Loaded
    18.5 lb Recoil Spring
    Full length (1 piece) guide rod - the original 2 piece kept coming apart but I am using the 2-piece rod's plug
    Wilson shock buffer
    Wilson bulletproof extractor and Wilson firing pin stop
    Wilson magazines - the one I shot had been kept loaded for at least two years.

Any help would be appreciated.

Following instructions is normally a good idea.

It sounds like the magazine. If it only happened once it probably a fluke. Keeping the magazine loaded didn't cause any problems since you can keep them loaded for decades without spring damage. Take the magazine apart, clean and oil it then run some rounds through it. If it still does it occasionally then try another magazine.
    USAF Retired, CATM, SC CWP, NH NR CWP, NRA Benefactor
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

Quote Originally Posted by Red Hat View Post
    It sounds like the magazine. If it only happened once it probably a fluke. Keeping the magazine loaded didn't cause any problems since you can keep them loaded for decades without spring damage. Take the magazine apart, clean and oil it then run some rounds through it. If it still does it occasionally then try another magazine.
    Yea what Red Hat said.

Was it the first or last round out of the mag?
    How many rounds of the Speer Gold Dot 230gr JHP have you fired? If you have fired several hundred it is one thing, but if you only fired 20 and you had a FTF you need to consider different carry ammo. Some guns just don't like a particular bullet shape. I carry Fed HydroShocks in all of my 1911's and have never had a problem.

I'm not familiar with the Wilson Bear Proof Extractor, maybe you should visit a good 1911 smith and have it looked at.

Steve

Proper Technique

Don't forget the ever-present possibility that you just limp-wristed it.

Quote Originally Posted by .45acp View Post
    Yea what Red Hat said.

Was it the first or last round out of the mag?
    How many rounds of the Speer Gold Dot 230gr JHP have you fired? If you have fired several hundred it is one thing, but if you only fired 20 and you had a FTF you need to consider different carry ammo. Some guns just don't like a particular bullet shape. I carry Fed HydroShocks in all of my 1911's and have never had a problem.

I'm not familiar with the Wilson Bear Proof Extractor, maybe you should visit a good 1911 smith and have it looked at.

Steve
    It was the last round. I'd take it to a 1911 smith if I knew of any in the area. I think the best thing would be to talk to Wilson about this (wish I still had the paper). I've shot this load before but not a lot of them. It's more of a range gun/safe queen than a defensive weapon anyway but I'd like to know I can count on it if I need to. It has had multiple problems since I bought it but I've gotten most of them (all of them I thought) sorted out. However, I still don't trust it, which is one reason if I decide to carry a larger automatic I'm probably going to go another way.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Hat View Post
    Unfortunately I didn't isolate the mag immediately (my mistake). I'll have to try it with all three and see what happens. Cleaning the mags is one step I plan to take but to be honest I didn't have a lot of time when I got home so I haven't messed with the gun much (other than a quick cleaning) yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Cocked _and_Locked View Post
    Following instructions is normally a good idea.
    I think there were special circumstances under which you were supposed to do this. I don't remember, which is one reason I posted this question.

Quote Originally Posted by Cocked _and_Locked View Post
    Don't forget the ever-present possibility that you just limp-wristed it.
    Always a possibility but I doubt it, since it appeared the case rim did not engage the extractor at all. I've never had issues limp-wristing a pistol but there's a first time for everything, right?

Quote Originally Posted by SC Tiger View Post
    It was the last round. I'd take it to a 1911 smith if I knew of any in the area. I think the best thing would be to talk to Wilson about this (wish I still had the paper). I've shot this load before but not a lot of them. It's more of a range gun/safe queen than a defensive weapon anyway but I'd like to know I can count on it if I need to. It has had multiple problems since I bought it but I've gotten most of them (all of them I thought) sorted out. However, I still don't trust it, which is one reason if I decide to carry a larger automatic I'm probably going to go another way.
    Call Wilson, they have good customer service and 1911 shooters that answer the phone.

Since it was the last round, you might try replacing the mag spring and follower with Wilson mag kits, or just use Wilson mags. I and many others have had good results with Wilson mags.

I mark all of my mags with an engraver (1,2,3,...) so I can identify problem mags, and identify carry mags vs practice mags.

It could be your gun just don't like the Speers, try HydroShocks by Federal.

Good Luck

Steve

Thanks .45acp. I was using a Wilson mag (47D) when it jammed but it is about 7-8 years old (not that that should matter). I'll call Wilson when I get some time. If it happens again I will try to remember to take a picture of the weapon in the jammed condition and isolate the mag.

The mag was also stored in the bottom of a drawer for a while - there could be lint and other [email protected] in there. I'll clean the mags and, while I'm at it number them.

I own two RIA guns that would not ever stop doubling on the last two rounds with Wilson 47d magazines.

Once I changed over to CMC Power 8's the problem never occured again.
    "When a government robs Peter to pay Paul it will alway's have the support of Paul" George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by Ropadope View Post
    I own two RIA guns that would not ever stop doubling on the last two rounds with Wilson 47d magazines.

Once I changed over to CMC Power 8's the problem never occured again.
    When you say double...do you mean like BANGBANG auto style? Why would the mag cause that?

Steve

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast