Duracoat finish? Bad or Good?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Duracoat finish? Bad or Good?

1. Duracoat finish? Bad or Good?

Anyone ever had or know about the Duracoat finish. I have an old AK that needs a new finish was thinking about this it comes in some cool paterns and colors. Does it hold up well? Is it hard to apply? Does anyone know where to have it professionally done in Missouri or Illinois?

First here is the link to the manufacturer and a list of the certified companies that apply the finish.

Manufacturer of DuraCoat Firearms Finishes

DuraCoat is really good. I have a ISSC M22 and the factory finish on gun is terrible. Worst than car paint. So I made a few calls and I sent my slide to get it refinished with DuraCoat.

It looks awsome and I have beat the hell out of it and no chips or cracks on the finish and no issues with corrision. so in my humble opinion this finish rocks.

it is easy to apply, but is you want it done right send it to a professional so they can sand blast or beed blast the finish off and then apply a good coat of duracoat.

Missionspec Camo is a good place to send your stuff.

hope it helps.

4. Quote Originally Posted by jblave View Post
    Anyone ever had or know about the Duracoat finish. I have an old AK that needs a new finish was thinking about this it comes in some cool paterns and colors. Does it hold up well? Is it hard to apply? Does anyone know where to have it professionally done in Missouri or Illinois?

I've got an M&P slide that is duracoated and while it looks good from a distance the coating chips when subjected to life and I would not ever do another.

5. I had the slide on my M&P pistol done in Duracoat last year and it's not bad. I have noticed that it is starting to wear a bit around the muzzle which is somewhat troubling considering I've only used it in 1 or 2 matches since I had it done.

If I were to do it again I would spend the extra money and have Robar do it in their NP3 coating.

6. Quote Originally Posted by S391 View Post
    I had the slide on my M&P pistol done in Duracoat last year and it's not bad. I have noticed that it is starting to wear a bit around the muzzle which is somewhat troubling considering I've only used it in 1 or 2 matches since I had it done.

If I were to do it again I would spend the extra money and have Robar do it in their NP3 coating.

What is the NP3 Coating that you are referring to and who is Robar and what is their Contact Info????

I was going to have my Beretta M9 Barrel Redone with the DuraCoating Finish as there is some Light Rusting on the Barrel and I wanted to get a Rust Resistant Finish done to Prevent it from Rusting again or to at least lessen it.

7. NP3/Robar

If interested in re-coating handgun personally prefer send it to the professionals for a topnotch job that will last:

NP3 by Robar - is great for all your metal pieces on handgun, which have found Duracoat better suited to the rest especially on polymer framed weapons.

Checkout this link: Robar Premium Finishing & Firearms Home Page

Lots of other premier product providers out there on the market as well but Robar got to be rated one of the best.

I've had three weapons done with Duracoat. The Ruger 10/22 barrel in Socom chipped within two months. An HK USPC showed wear after daily care in a leather holster after one month, also Socom. The 2nd time the USPC slide was done, it was in a black finish that looked a lot like parkerizing, and that has held up really well since last year. I think the three smiths that did the work were learning the mixtures, and the 3rd one seems to have it right. Anymore will be sent to Robar for black, or Armalloy if its the satin SS look I'm after.

CHL/CWP Classes
    DPS/BCI/NRA Certified Instructor
    www.defensiveimpact.com

Quote Originally Posted by jblave View Post
    I have a 1911 Officer's Model that I had DuraCoated in Desert Sand two years ago. So far so good, no sign of wear. I have a friend here that does it. He gets most of his business by setting up at gun shows. I imagine that you'll find someone in Mo by attending local gun shows. He charges $130 per pistol. I have no idea what he gets for a rifle. I also know a gunsmith that charges the same for a pistol. It's not an easy process to do. The gun must be completely stripped & the parts to be coated have to be cleaned a certain way & then coated & the finish baked on @ a certain temp for a specified amount of time.

you really get what you pay for.

If you want a good DuraCoat finish that will last you need to send it to someone that knows how to apply it. I agree with Sixguncowboy.

Anyone can DuraCoat, but not everyone does a good lasting job. The product will last a long time, but it depends on how the gun was stripped (beed blast) and cleaned and then the duracoat application.

I ask to have my guns parkerized first and then they apply the Duracoat and it lasts a long time.

anyway. it is the owners ultimate choice what they want to do with there guns.

Robar does an awsome job with there coating and custom jobs, but you pay for it.

sometimes the prices is as close to the cost of the firearm.

I like my guns with some battle scars...chicks digg it...!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast