Lefthanded 1911 question, slidestop lever

Thread: Lefthanded 1911 question, slidestop lever

Question Lefthanded 1911 question, slidestop lever

I have a question for any of the 1911 experts on this site. Is it possible to set up the 1911 with a left handed slidestop lever? From my understanding this would require the creation of a mirror imaged part, a left handed lever, and cutting into the slide to allow the lever to catch the slide to stop it.

The reason I am asking has to do with another thread discussing Southpaw pistol options. I am a Glock user so my knowledge is limited in this area.

3. It would also require cutting the frame to allow the slide stop to reach the magazine, which would also need to be modified. It may be easier to attach a second lever to the right side/end of the slide stop, similar to what is done for an ambi safety.

There have been left handed 1911 variants made but they are rare and few if any parts interchange. Unfortunately for you, only about 1 in 7 people is a southpaw s the market is limited.

I am also a left handed person with S&W 1911 with limited knowledge about them. I know far about Glocks! It is tough being a left-handed person in a Right-Handed World!
    It seems for me though I just find it easier to adapt to "regular" set-ups, rather than seeking out ambi or south paw Modifications!
    "Arms in the hands of individual citizens may be used at individual discretion for the defence of country, the over-throw of tyranny, or in private self-defense."
    John Adams

5. Quote Originally Posted by G50AE View Post
    I have a question for any of the 1911 experts on this site. Is it possible to set up the 1911 with a left handed slidestop lever? From my understanding this would require the creation of a mirror imaged part, a left handed lever, and cutting into the slide to allow the lever to catch the slide to stop it.

The reason I am asking has to do with another thread discussing Southpaw pistol options. I am a Glock user so my knowledge is limited in this area.
    Nope, it would be too much work. The slide stop has to fit in the cutout on the left side of the magazine if it is going to lock the slide back after the last round. You'd have to re-engineer the magazine body and follower along with cutting on frame and slide to make it work. That's a lot of work and would mean that every mag you ever used for the gun would have to be so modified. In a nutshell, nobody in their right mind would want to buy such a gun if/when you or your descendants decided to sell it.

An easier way to do it would be to manufacture am ambidextrous slide stop that worked along the lines of the aftermarket 1911 safeties that Kings used to make. The pin that goes completely through the gun and holds the barrel link in place would need to be made longer and a right side slide stop lever could then be held in place via a set screw. This way would mean that only a part that is easily replaced has been modified and you still have the option of undoing the mod by simply reinstalling the original part.

I'm left handed and I don't really have an issue with the slide stop on a 1911. When I use it (I normally just grab the slide and pull it back to release the slide), I hit it with my trigger finger instead of my thumb just like I hit the mag release with my middle finger instead of my thumb. I've shot guns with ambi mag releases and still don't use my thumb to drop the mag. I've grown accustomed to doing it that way and it's now instinctive (kinda like my reaching over the top of a wheelgun to hit the cylinder latch with my right thumb has become).