617 cylinder sticks

Thread: 617 cylinder sticks

1. 617 cylinder sticks

My brand new 617 has a glitch. As we finished up shooting, the cylinder all of a sudden would catch instead of opening. It takes a little bit of force to overcome it and make it open. First time shooting it. Any ideas?

Just call up Smith and talk to a tech.

most likely got some crud in the wrong spot. Clean and retry. Or give more info. Does the cylinder release not move enough to release the cylinder? are the backs of the empty shells dragging on the frame? did the primers back out of the shells making them drag? were you shooting the same shells the whole time or did you switch from 38 to 357 or vise-versa? Does it stick before firing any of the live rounds in the cylinder? look at the frame, can you see heavy drag marks? where on the frame? Did you shoot 1/2 box or 30 boxes of before this happened? open the action and look if the firing pin protruding at all( it should not be visible). Or I'll just give you $100 bucks for it the way it is.

Clean the gun.
    How to Correctly Clean Your Revolver Gun | The Art of Manliness

Quote Originally Posted by thetravlor View Post
    My brand new 617 has a glitch. As we finished up shooting, the cylinder all of a sudden would catch instead of opening. It takes a little bit of force to overcome it and make it open. First time shooting it. Any ideas?
    Beware the Fury of a patient man.

6. Does this only happen after shooting? The heat caused the metal to expand an things don't work as planned until it cools down. My Taurus .22 Mag revolver sometimes gets so hot it completely seizes up until it cools.

7. Taurus 617

No problems with the gun. Just can't find a OWB conceal carry holster for it. Any suggestions?'

8. timing, grit, etc

Calling the S&W tech rep is the answer. The model 617 is their target 22. My guess is they will have you return it for a complete teardown, retiming, ormaybe even replace the cylinder.

However mentioning taurus in the same breath as S&W is pure sacrilege.At best taurus is a cheaply made knockoff of everything S&W makes.In my weakest moments I purchased a 454 raging bull in bright stainless when they first came out. It will(maybe) shoot 1 out of 5 double action. And I bought a judge when they first came out that had so much grit in the pawl area that after attempting to fire the trigger would not come back to battery without placing a wooden dowel behind the trigger to force it back. Enuf said...

Question

Is it a Taurus or a Smith and Wesson? one is a 22 the other is a 357

Oh, come on now....... I own two Taurus, an automatic (PT 58) purchased used and a .357 mag 7 shot revolver (Tracker). Nary a problem with either. Shoot monthly.

Some folks say Taurus are junk.... maybe it is the luck of the draw. My local shop/range owner, long time cop and professional level competitive shooter says Kimber .45s are junk. Ya just never can tell.

GG
    Fanatics of any sort are dangerous! -GG-
    Which part of "... shall NOT be infringed..." confuses you?
    Well now, aren't WE a pair, Raggedy Man? (Thunderdome)

Quote Originally Posted by thetravlor View Post
    I find my S&W 637 had a similar problem. It's a tight fit and takes a little extra effort to open the cylindar. Cleaning didn't help as the problem exists when the gun is cleaned and oiled. Take it to a good pistol smith who can slightly improve the tolerances and eliminate the problem. It's a very inexpensive fix.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS