Do you oil the inside of your barrel? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do you oil the inside of your barrel?

I always try to run an oily patch after shooting or cleaning followed by clean patches. I pay very careful attention to making sure the chamber is dry and the mag/s also. That way you do not have the chance of oil seeping into a loaded round. Make sure there is no oil seeping from the firing pin port when pointed downward. Oil is vitally important but too much is not a good thing.

I DO oil the inside of the barrel

Quote Originally Posted by Felix View Post
    Who taught you that?

After you've finished cleaning, run an oil patch through the barrel followed by a single-layer dry patch. That'll leave a very thin film of oil to protect the metal but not enough to cause dirt or excessive lint to collect and first-round accuracy will not be affected.

Standard practice for military cops as well.
    This is exactly what I do. The final dry patch soaks up any excess lubricant while still leaving a thin film to protect the metal.

I agree with the Duke. I have always left a light bit of oil sheen in rifles as well as pistols over the years. It's the way Unca Sammy's Marines taught me..... has always worked for me.

I figure 200 years plus of experimentation has lead to the best possible solution by now. LOL!

GG
    Fanatics of any sort are dangerous! -GG-
    Which part of "... shall NOT be infringed..." confuses you?
    Well now, aren't WE a pair, Raggedy Man? (Thunderdome)

5. I am a new pistol owner, only have owned bows and rifles for hunting. I have noticed a whole lot of contradictory information on this and other subjects. A guy I really trust says he uses WD-40 to clean his Glocks, while I've seen people pretty much have a stroke when someone mentions WD-40 for cleaning. Chemically, it's prolly not that different than Breakfree or similar.

But as a newbie, it sure is confusing. For now I have just been doing it exactly as in the owner's manual.

Quote Originally Posted by SWAT Medic View Post
    I am a new pistol owner, only have owned bows and rifles for hunting. I have noticed a whole lot of contradictory information on this and other subjects. A guy I really trust says he uses WD-40 to clean his Glocks, while I've seen people pretty much have a stroke when someone mentions WD-40 for cleaning. Chemically, it's prolly not that different than Breakfree or similar.

But as a newbie, it sure is confusing. For now I have just been doing it exactly as in the owner's manual.
    You can't go wrong by following the manual. Although WD-40 can dissolve rust and lubricate, it most likely won't lubricate like a CLP type product. Plus who knows what it's doing to the finish. Tennifer, Melonite and other coatings are very tough but rely on a chemical bond to do their job, I'm hesitant to spray another chemical on it, especially one that's designed to break things free from the metal! Solvent and Oil, and in the hot months, Solvent and Grease. CLP will do the trick as well.

I use olive oil. All the time. Extra virgin. Very very VERY little.
    It works better then any other oil I have used.
    And it doesn't burn on the first shot like most other.

HOWEVER. If you use to much. It CAN cause rust. Fine line. So less is more.

If you do not oil the inside of a stored shooter you probably will get rust. I always oil after cleaning and dry patch until clean prior to firing.

I have always oiled the barrel, and the cylinder, and then dry swab it. I have stainless steel barrels on all my handguns, so rust is not a big issue. IMHO alittle oil is ok.
    Even though I walk through the valley of the Shadow of Death, I will fear no Evil, for YOU are with me; Remington 44 Mag:

Like many here one oiled patch followed by a dry patch after cleaning. Like they say less is more.
    Be polite to everyone but have a plan to kill them if necessary.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12