how often do you brush the inside of the barrel?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how often do you brush the inside of the barrel?

how often do you brush the inside of the barrel?

So far I have mostly just used cleaning patches and breakfree CLP to clean my barrel (no jokes please) which seemed to work alright. How often would you guys recommend using a brush?

3. I run a brush through every time I clean a gun, which is after each time I go to the range, etc.

dusted Guest
    i run a brush through once even if i'm shooting fmj. doesn't hurt it and only takes a second.

As Dusted said, there is no harm.. The brushes are made from a softer material than the barrel, so you can't do any harm..

To answer your question.. I brush my barrel just as often as I brush my teeth!!

Gulf Coast, Floriduh
    Sccy is the limit

Same here.

(referring to posts 2, 3,and 4)

Okay, okay ... lol ... y'all have convinced me!!!

CLP will not remove any copper or lead fouling that may build up in the barrel. For these you would need something a bit stronger. Brownells has quite a selection to choose from. I am sure each person has their own favorite. I personally use Shooter Choice Lead Remover if I have been shooting lots of non-jacketed bullets and Hoppe's Bench-Rest No.9 for removal of copper fouling. Only after using these and drying the bore do I put a very light coat of CLP.

Yep. EVERY time it is fired! (The only time I did't clean my rifle thoroughly was after Pre-Qualification shooting. Didn't want to mess with it and screw up my "dope" for "Qual Day". Probably superstition more than anything else. I WAS a rather cracker jack shooter in my time. Still fair, but the eyes have grown less sharp over the years.) (Sigh! It's a ***** getting old! On the other hand, one MUST consider the alternative........) (LOL!)

GG

P.S. For rifles it is always recommended to use a chamber brush also.
    Fanatics of any sort are dangerous! -GG-
    Which part of "... shall NOT be infringed..." confuses you?
    Well now, aren't WE a pair, Raggedy Man? (Thunderdome)

I use a soft brush every time the gun s cleaned.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

Quote Originally Posted by Grognard Gunny View Post
    Yep. EVERY time it is fired! (The only time I did't clean my rifle thoroughly was after Pre-Qualification shooting. Didn't want to mess with it and screw up my "dope" for "Qual Day". Probably superstition more than anything else. I WAS a rather cracker jack shooter in my time. Still fair, but the eyes have grown less sharp over the years.) (Sigh! It's a ***** getting old! On the other hand, one MUST consider the alternative........) (LOL!)

GG

P.S. For rifles it is always recommended to use a chamber brush also.
    I hear ya brother. Good eyes for 45 years and now reading glasses. Can't see the sights and target together. Lasers were made specialliy for us.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast