Main spring on a revolver - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Main spring on a revolver

Quote Originally Posted by XJ_MAC View Post
    Good excuse to get a new TV. Just remember to place it against the wall behind the stove, or whatever else the wife would like to replace. That way she won't complain so much. Oh, and make sure she's not cooking in there at the time, of course. LOL
    You're supposed to use an empty gun (or snap caps) for this but it still IMO violates "Do not point a gun at anything you do not want to destroy."

If I did this with a loaded gun I would wind up either divorced or unarmed, and maybe both.

I've tuned the action on many revolvers over the years. You can do the work yourself, but as noted in several replies here - you can find yourself in a world of hurt when you take too much material off of trigger group. One trick with the main spring is either 1) get a lighter spring (you can buy these for your make and model) or 2) you can heat the spring and compress it. If you do #2, you only have one chance to do it right and you need to have lots of things in place and ready to go as soon as you get the spring red hot. Again...a lighter spring may cause the hammer to not strike the primer hard enough to go off, just hard enough to put fear into you about touching a dimpled round as you pull it out of the cylinder.

4. lighter spring may cause the hammer to not strike the primer hard enough to go off, just hard enough to put fear into you about touching a dimpled round as you pull it out of the cylinder.
    Is purple talking from experience?

Quote Originally Posted by milboltnut View Post
    Is purple talking from experience?
    Yep. Put a new main spring in a Mod 62 S&W several years ago and it was way too light. I also bought a Charter Bulldog in 44spl 15+ years ago and took it to the range. Great trigger pull, but all it would do was dimple the primers. Got rid of that gun to a gun smith who parted it out.

6. I'm sure there is a correct, minmum spring, that can be installed. And your smith just took the gun from you and that's it?

7. Quote Originally Posted by Purple View Post
    Yep. Put a new main spring in a Mod 62 S&W several years ago and it was way too light. I also bought a Charter Bulldog in 44spl 15+ years ago and took it to the range. Great trigger pull, but all it would do was dimple the primers. Got rid of that gun to a gun smith who parted it out.
    I'm sure there's the right spring to put in..... what did your smith say?

Quote Originally Posted by Purple View Post
    I've had that happen too. I just put the original spring back in the gun. No more worries.

Quote Originally Posted by milboltnut View Post
    I'm sure there's the right spring to put in..... what did your smith say?
    The gun smith swore at it and couldn't get a good spring to work well with the timing of the gun. It was really odd...too light, too heavy and still only dimple. The next thing was to fabricate a longer firing pin for the hammer. That's when I said eff it!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12