Revolver Cleaning
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Revolver Cleaning

Revolver Cleaning

Recently I have had trouble with my 1970s vintage Hi-Standard revolver that I bought in 1981 from a friend, fired for a couple of years and then not again until a couple of years ago. I DID, however clean it at least once a year during those idle years it sat around unfired and, of course, after firing. Specifically, just in the last year the brass, at least one of the six, would hang up and get stuck (but good) about half way out of the cylinder. Took pliers to get it out of there.

I took it to a gunsmith and he "polished the cylinder chambers" and all works well with the weapon now. He said the chambers "were pretty rough".

Question: I have always run the bore brush through the cylinder chambers when cleaning, never having anyone tell me different. Could THAT have been the cause of my "sticking brass" problem? The cumulative "roughing" caused by the bore brush? (Remember we are talking about 30-40 cleanings over the years.)

Which brings up another: It the steel in the cylinder walls "softer" than that found in the barrell?

Anyone?

I ask because I don't want to cause any long term problems with my other three revolvers.

GG
    Fanatics of any sort are dangerous! -GG-
    Which part of "... shall NOT be infringed..." confuses you?
    Well now, aren't WE a pair, Raggedy Man? (Thunderdome)

A soft bronze brush won't harm the steel. It might alter the polish a bit though.

A little JB might smooth things out.

-Doc

Using the brush on the chambers will not harm them.

I typically use a nylon brush in my cylinders and bronze in the bores. The only time I have used a bronze brush in the cylinder is if I have fired a lot of 38 special lead rounds in my 357 or 44 special lead rounds in my 44 mag. They both cause some build up in the chambers that a nylon brush cannot remove plus using a stronger lead removing chemical plays havoc with the nylon brush!
    NRA Life Member, NH CC, Gun Owners of America, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms, Second Amendment Foundation
    "Remember, incoming fire has the Right of Way"

Just remember after you use the brush to run a patch threw after so get the little bits of junk out.

But of course!

I just can't figure out why, after all these years, the brass would suddenly start sticking! Aside from the "rough" cylinder bore holes. If THAT was the case, what, pray tell, caused THAT?

I HATE unsolved riddles! LOL!

GG

Cheep Ammo? Corrosive ammo? Dirty ammo/cylinders and the crap gets compressed by the bullets? Could be 100 different reasons.

But if I thoroughly clean after using, that can't be the problem/cause. Can it?

You are NOT helping me solve my conundrum! LOL!

GG

Sorry just throwing ideas out there. My only other question is what is the caliber?

My friend has a .357 that he shoots 38 out of all the time, and thus it has worn a small ridge where the shell ends and so when he shoots 357 it binds up and doesn't eject all the way he had the cylinders polished and it fixed it for a bit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast