Over Cleaning? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Over Cleaning?

I'd be more worried about "under-shooting" more than "over-cleaning"
    Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    [*]Don't be afraid to use sarcasm, mockery and humiliation. They don't respect you. There's no need to pretend you respect them.
    Operation Veterans Relief: http://www.opvr.org/home.html

Let's just say that a gun will run properly way longer then you ever thought between cleanings.
    I always felt guilty if I didn't clean my gun immediately after I got home no matter how few rounds I put through it.
    Been told by an instructor for one of the best known gun manufacturers/academy that he has let his gun run more then one thousand rounds before cleaning it. The very gun he uses for EDC! ( I am getting good at figuring out what initials mean that people use here :-)
    He is a total professional with an impressive resume including S W A T team leader.
    The key is proper lubrication. Also, for 1911's I have been told that those guns should be run on the "wet" side. Been my limited experience that this is true.
    IMHO ........ See I am getting the initial thing down. hmmmmm The more I use the more it might seem I know what I am talking about.
    Ya think?
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member
    NRA Certified RSO

Get yourself a Glock and don't worry about it.

Quote Originally Posted by G50AE View Post
    Get yourself a Glock and don't worry about it.
    Just a variety of reactions that I am sure your post will generate.
    doesn't mean you are wrong though!
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member
    NRA Certified RSO

There is no such thing as too clean a weapon. A clean weapon is a happy weapon.
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by CapGun View Post
    Just a variety of reactions that I am sure your post will generate.
    doesn't mean you are wrong though!

Good point!

Quote Originally Posted by SFC View Post
    I was once told by a gun smith/dealer that over cleaning a semi-auto could possibly do more damage than good. Huh? Now I find out after cleaning ny 1911A1's for over 40 years. Now ten years later I'm asking this same question.

Could this be possible?

To me it is a good idea to clean after every day of long shooting to check out the firearm for any problems or wear and tear. I did it in the Army and I still do it today and really have not seen much of a problem
    You are better off cleaning your weapon after shooting. I have put 1000's of rounds through my 1911 ( its been around for about 90 years and its lived a hard life) and have cleaned it after every session during my last 20+ years of ownership. I have never heard of overclean unless you use a brillo pad or a handgrinder. Not cleaning is asking for trouble no matter what you use.
    "When you have to shoot...shoot, don't talk."---Tuco Benedicto Pacífico Juan María Ramírez (aka "The Rat")From The Good the Bad and the Ugly.

I clean my guns after each trip to the range. Once per year I give them a thorough cleaning. Sort like the wife. I take her outside and hose her down a couple times per year.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

Talking

On BCI's posted advice I tried hosing down my wife today after dinner. I'm now a soprano.

11. All I will add is sometimes less is better then more. Meaning taking a firearm all apart is not needed, in normal shooting.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12