Over Cleaning?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Over Cleaning?

Over Cleaning?

I was once told by a gun smith/dealer that over cleaning a semi-auto could possibly do more damage than good. Huh? Now I find out after cleaning ny 1911A1's for over 40 years. Now ten years later I'm asking this same question.

Could this be possible?

To me it is a good idea to clean after every day of long shooting to check out the firearm for any problems or wear and tear. I did it in the Army and I still do it today and really have not seen much of a problem
    The Second Amendment is not about Hunting!!
    When the Government is afraid of of it's People, This LIBERTY
    When the People are afraid of the government, That is TYRANNY

First of all, WTF does "over" cleaning mean?

That said, I've heard that bit of folklore too over the years...and, it's one of the dumbest comments I've ever heard.

Clean your gun per the manual...it will be just fine.
    H&K-Certified MP5 Operator and Instructor
    FBI-Certified Police Pistol and Shotgun Instructor
    State of New Mexico-Certified Concealed Carry Instructor

Charleston, South Carolina, United States
    I agree that it is good practice to keep your firearms cleaned and oiled as needed. I try to do some target practice a minimum of once per month. We try to go as a group if we can. I noticed that after shooting 50 rounds through any of my weapons that none of them are really dirty. I am not sure how many rounds would make them dirty. Nevertheless I tear them down and clean them anyway. I guess it is just a habit I got into.

"OVER cleaning"

Quote Originally Posted by SFC View Post
    I was once told by a gun smith/dealer that over cleaning a semi-auto could possibly do more damage than good. Huh? Now I find out after cleaning ny 1911A1's for over 40 years. Now ten years later I'm asking this same question.

Could this be possible?

To me it is a good idea to clean after every day of long shooting to check out the firearm for any problems or wear and tear. I did it in the Army and I still do it today and really have not seen much of a problem
    I would think that the only problem that might be classified as "over cleaning" would be a gun that was cleaned but has not been lubricated. Trust me, anyone who takes the time to properly clean their firearm will NOT forget to lubricate it....

Otherwise, a gun that is cleaned and lubricated [correctly] is being treated exactly as the manufacturers specify.

I agree with all previous posters: what you were told is a MYTH.

The only way that could be true, is if by "overcleaning" he meant "overlubricating." If you coat the metal parts with a light coat of oil, you should be fine. If you use TOO MUCH oil and your gun sits a long time between cleanings, that oil will thicken, collect dust, and generally "gum up the works."

I learned in the Army - when in doubt, RTFM. (Read the eff'n manual.) What? That old used pistol you bought at the pawn shop didn't come with one? Check the manufacturer's website or give them a call. They will almost undoubtedly have one on file. :)

I was in the military when he 9mm was adopted to replace the worn out 45s. Armorers told me that what wore out the 45s was the repetitive assembly/disassembly from "over cleaning." By overcleaning I assume they meant the constant drill of assembly/disassembly that the military performed en masse. I have no way of knowing whether that is true. My own 1911 goes about 500 rounds before I clean it. It will go longer, but I just can't stand the tension. When I first got it I decided to shoot it until it wouldn't function without cleaning. I gave up at 800 rounds (no malfunctions) and started cleaning at 500.

Quote Originally Posted by JimPage View Post
    I was in the military when he 9mm was adopted to replace the worn out 45s. Armorers told me that what wore out the 45s was the repetitive assembly/disassembly from "over cleaning." By overcleaning I assume they meant the constant drill of assembly/disassembly that the military performed en masse. I have no way of knowing whether that is true. My own 1911 goes about 500 rounds before I clean it. It will go longer, but I just can't stand the tension. When I first got it I decided to shoot it until it wouldn't function without cleaning. I gave up at 800 rounds (no malfunctions) and started cleaning at 500.
    This is most likely what he was referring to of the field striping and the assembly several times a week. I was shooting on a daily basis up to 700 reloads and cleaning every day as I hated the thought of a dirty fir earn that may or may not work if it was dirty. But, today I stall clean my firearms each time I return from the range, old habits are hard to change
    The Second Amendment is not about Hunting!!
    When the Government is afraid of of it's People, This LIBERTY
    When the People are afraid of the government, That is TYRANNY

Yes "field stripping" is the term I was searching for. Thanks for clarifying. :)

I cannot worry about "overcleaning"...hubby and son decided to be the gun cleaner in the family after target shooting. I apologize. This is a dumb reply... Now you can all say "WOMEN!!" in unision, please....
    "Don't let the door hit ya where the dawg shudda bit ya!"
    G'day and Glock
    GATEWAY SWIFT WING ST. LOUIS

Over cleaning? Is that even possible? Can those words be used together in one sentence?

/German

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast