1911 FL Guide Rod Question

Thread: 1911 FL Guide Rod Question

1911 FL Guide Rod Question

I have a Commander sized 1911. I was disassembling it for cleaning this evening and I had trouble removing the Recoil Spring/Guide Rod assembly (my gun has a reverse plug, no barrel bushing etc.). When I finally got the unit out of the slide I noticed there was a small metal lip that had curled and was rubbing against the slide. I have put ~500 rounds of .45 ACP through the gun (185 gr. to 230 gr.) only 40 were +P. I'm looking for thoughts on what could have caused the metal to become damaged.

I had a similar issue with the firing pin recently and ended up replacing it with a Wilson Combat unit.

Hopefully it's nothing I'm doing. It seems to me like crap steel... Thoughts?

Are you running a commander (4 1/4") or a 4" bull barrel and what make?

"It's easier to avoid conflict than it is to survive it" - SGB

It is a Commander 4 1/4" non bull barrel. Kimber Pro Raptor 2. I spoke with Wilson combat and they said none of the reverse plugs they carry would work. I would hate to have to order the same part if the issue is going to happen again.

Quote Originally Posted by danielp View Post
    It is a Commander 4 1/4" non bull barrel. Kimber Pro Raptor 2. I spoke with Wilson combat and they said none of the reverse plugs they carry would work. I would hate to have to order the same part if the issue is going to happen again.
    Kimber doesn't make a 4 1/4" gun, the Pro Carry utilizes a bushingless 4" bull barrel.

Kimber America > Products

"It's easier to avoid conflict than it is to survive it" - SGB

I know they have the part but I'm wondering what would cause the issue. Buying the same part that fails after 500 rounds and less than a year of use doesn't make me confident in the pistol.