I'm no gunsmith

Thread: I'm no gunsmith

I'm no gunsmith

So I need some help on a couple of issues. I have a Springfield XDM .40S&W. The dang thing is reliable but shoots to the left. Aiming at center mass all rounds group well but miss the target at 10yds. I have been compensating by aiming to the right but that, as you know, is not a good situation. When looking at the pistol head on it is obvious that the barrel is not centered within the slide but slightly off to the left. Since the front sight is mounted on top of the slide could this be the problem? If so, I suppose I will have to invest in some adjustable sights.

I also have a Ruger SR40c which really dislikes my reloads. It misfires about half the time. Since it fires factory ammo just fine I can only surmise there is something wrong with my reloads. All the cases have been resized and I have insured that the OAL of the rounds are exactly the same as the factory ammo. The XDM fires the reloads without incident.

Any ideas?
    All The Best
    Gunz

Isn't the rear sight adjustable? It's most likely in a dovetail and just need to tapped over to the right. Trial and error on this. As for the ammuntion, try different primers. Seems like the primers are too hard for the strike of firing pin in the Ruger.
    Jim Page

Cogito, ergo armatum sum

I'm no gunsmith

Take it to a gunsmith. They will charge you around $50-$75 for site adjustment, maybe $100 on the high end. You could waste that much in ammo trying to get it right yourself not to mention picking up some bad shooting habits. JMO

Are you shooting the xdm off sandbags or freehand? Try off sandbags if not. Can never truly zero from forehand too much variable.

Sent from my XT901 using USA Carry mobile app
    To teach tolerance, you must first be Intolerant.

Quote Originally Posted by misunderstood View Post
    Are you shooting the xdm off sandbags or freehand? Try off sandbags if not. Can never truly zero from forehand too much variable.

Sent from my XT901 using USA Carry mobile app
    I did both. The gun is consistent to the left. Shoots great groups over there. I received the adjustable sights today but getting the old sights off are going to be a problem. I have heard they are the toughest in the world.
    All The Best
    Gunz

Quote Originally Posted by JimPage View Post
    Isn't the rear sight adjustable? It's most likely in a dovetail and just need to tapped over to the right. Trial and error on this. As for the ammuntion, try different primers. Seems like the primers are too hard for the strike of firing pin in the Ruger.
    Absolutely not. The Springfield XD line has the tightest fit sights on the planet. They are heat pressed into place and even some gunsmiths won't touch them.

Primers? Does the Ruger strike the primer with less force than other handguns? Which primers are considered "hard"?
    All The Best
    Gunz

8. cci magnum primers used to be (are?) considered "hard", and Remingtons "soft" (pistol). whether or not that's so, I have no idea. :-) Alcan large pistol primers certainly were "soft", that i have plenty of experience with. if the sights are that far off, I'd say that its time to return the gun to the makers, and let them sort it out, under warranty, for free.

Quote Originally Posted by yuppor View Post
    cci magnum primers used to be (are?) considered "hard", and Remingtons "soft" (pistol). whether or not that's so, I have no idea. :-) Alcan large pistol primers certainly were "soft", that i have plenty of experience with. if the sights are that far off, I'd say that its time to return the gun to the makers, and let them sort it out, under warranty, for free.
    I'm using Remington primers. I will go to the range in a few days and try a few more reloads. I sent the XD back to Springfield to install adjustable sights. I don't mind the down time. It gives me a good excuse to OC the 1911!
    All The Best
    Gunz