Carry in and through water - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Carry in and through water

1. I have a P226 that I have carried daily for two years. I only oil it once a week unless I shoot it. I work on a farm so it has been through more than you could imagine, including a dunk in the pond and stock tank, and there never has been a speck of rust or a malfunction. I do seal my ammo whatever nail polish I can steal from my wife. You could also have yours Teflon coated to help ahead crud and moisture. Or if that don't settle your mind maybe get a stainless revolver to carry hiking.

3. Thank you all for the advice as well as the information. I hadn't thought of some of the down side with the grease but now that I'm thinking about it there are other things to figure out for use with it

guns in water

Quote Originally Posted by JJSwiontek View Post
    Hi Nicholas,

Most modern weapons are fine for complete immersion in water to continue function. I say most because some gun manufactures in the world use iron instead of higher quality steel. I would recommend cleaning and lubrication of your firearm at the end of the day before sleep.

HOWEVER, the firearm and water are not the most important issue. Water and your ammo is. While the case seal around the bullet is waterproof, the primer is not. If your ammo is at a temperature higher than the water, then when immersed, the air pressure inside the case will go negative and draw water from around the primer into the powder. This will create a squib load and possibly a blocked barrel.

The solution is nail polish. If you buy a inexpensive Red nail polish and paint the primers, then your rounds will be completely waterproof. Also, the thin layer of nail polish should not affect the firing pin breaking the primer crystal. Your Mileage May Vary. Try 50 painted rounds at the range and see if this works in your pistol.

Anyone agree, disagree, or want to comment on how this advice carbon-dates me to 1973 and Southeast Asia? I have one box of 50 rounds of each type of my ammo with coated primers just for those 'wet' occasions.
    I use a KELTEC P11, in a crotch holster, while swimming in the Gulf, salt water. Primers are sealed with model air plane clear DOPE. When I get home, I wash the ammo off and toss the gun in the dish washer. 12 years with this gun and routine. No problems. I do not use oil or lube on that gun, ever. Sand, will stick to it and it will not fire 100% of the time if it gets sand in the tracks.
    I'd leave the gun on the beach, but when I come back, will it still be there? This is my only plastic gun.
    While in VN, my M14 and 1911 were washed in fresh water when back at camp. Had to re oil the M14 stock and it held battle "O", all the time.
    MICHAEL

Quote Originally Posted by Firefighterchen View Post
    Taking it pretty extreme to get your point across? Not fitting for you longslide.
    Yeah, FFC I sometimes go there. I guess I could've been more tactful huh?
    "Those who would trade liberty for security, deserves neither liberty nor security."
    "The original point and click interface was a Smith & Wesson".

Best advice I can offer is from USAF survival school. If stuck on raft in the ocean, hang your sidearm over the side in the ocean (on a string or parachute cord) so that it's submerged. Oxidation will not occur (at least while you're alive) underwater. When you're rescued, clean and lube the gun.
    Jim Page

Cogito, ergo armatum sum

7. Quote Originally Posted by blacksharkL82 View Post
    I use a KELTEC P11, in a crotch holster, while swimming in the Gulf, salt water. Primers are sealed with model air plane clear DOPE. When I get home, I wash the ammo off and toss the gun in the dish washer. 12 years with this gun and routine. No problems. I do not use oil or lube on that gun, ever. Sand, will stick to it and it will not fire 100% of the time if it gets sand in the tracks.
    I'd leave the gun on the beach, but when I come back, will it still be there? This is my only plastic gun.
    While in VN, my M14 and 1911 were washed in fresh water when back at camp. Had to re oil the M14 stock and it held battle "O", all the time.
    You raise good points about lube and their ability to attract dirt and sand. When you have metal on metal as an Engineer, I know lube will prevent wear over time. In situations where dirt and sand is a concern I use a dry lube (Rem Oil sells one). It sprays and the carrier evaporates leaving a dry Teflon coating on your parts. I always use this on trigger assemblies and firing pins.

8. Quote Originally Posted by vanns40 View Post
    Wesue4u? Hah! I believe that says it all. Phony troll alert in spades!
    It's tragic to see that you guys are so threatened by someone who disagrees with you and gets called a troll . . . repeatedly. Therein is the seed of why the left has an open door to view gun owners as being radical right wingers. So that we are clear, "Wesue4u" is my career and as such, my sign on name. And further, I'm former military, own 2 Glocks & a Colt 6940 M4 Carbine, so if you want a range of opinions here rather than just your own, holster your attitude.

My position was that carrying while swimming is "in my opinion" over the top. Further, I pointed out that just because a person has a CCW doesn't mean he/she has to carry all the time. A more moderate tolerant attitude might make the whole gun industry more credible to a very nervous public.

9. while I'm glad to get the advice and in most cases would follow that. For me at the very least since I dont know the area, or the like I would prefer to be more of the mind of I'd rather have my gun and might look silly and not need it then leave it some place. The only time I take it off and am comfortable is when its in a house and in a lock box. I just want to limit the chance as much as possible of someone either walking off with it, targeting a friend who doesn't know how to remove it from the holster, or having my car targeted because someone decided to break in. I was thinking of possibly frog lube or another lube that will be good and able to handle something beyond what I could ever put it through.

10. If you subscribe to Criminals Weekly and follow where they're going to be and can avoid them then, by all means, I would say it's perfectly acceptable not to carry all the time, otherwise it's just prudent to be prepared. Your comment regarding Normandy was a typical left wing, snarky throw back so don't get upset when people respond in kind. It's your choice when and how often you carry, don't disparage, in any way shape or form, the lawful carry attitude of others.

The Great State of Texas "Remember the Alamo"

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas A. View Post
    I plan on going on a couple of hikes this year and a few of which offer rivers, lake, ponds what have you to go swimming in. Well since I carry anytime I'm legally allowed to and feel as though if I'm in the water leaving my gun on shore would not be wise as to not having direct control over it. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for oil or more so lube for the gun if it gets submerged in water while I'm out in the water or if I decide to go for a swim. I dont plan on using it but I have the mind set of having everything working in its best possible condition so as to limit the chances of any problems. I'm not sure if it matters or not but the gun I have and carry is a Sig Sauer P226
    Step 1; Carry a can of WD40 with you (Displace water from your firearm as needed).
    Step 2; Carry a Glock.

Problem solved.
    Fascist's are Magicians...They can make our Property, our Freedom's & even our Children 'Disappear'.
    ~Outlaw~

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast