Carry in and through water
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Carry in and through water

1. Carry in and through water

I plan on going on a couple of hikes this year and a few of which offer rivers, lake, ponds what have you to go swimming in. Well since I carry anytime I'm legally allowed to and feel as though if I'm in the water leaving my gun on shore would not be wise as to not having direct control over it. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for oil or more so lube for the gun if it gets submerged in water while I'm out in the water or if I decide to go for a swim. I dont plan on using it but I have the mind set of having everything working in its best possible condition so as to limit the chances of any problems. I'm not sure if it matters or not but the gun I have and carry is a Sig Sauer P226

http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/i.../t-204368.html

Good thread from another forum.

What went through my mind was the use of the P226 by military and federal agents. It has to pass a pretty stringent test for those groups of users. It seems myth busters have also done an underwater test with the P226 with a successful first shot.

I wouldn't routinely shoot the P226 obstructed...but I don't see an issue if you had to use it right after getting it wet.
    “One of the illusions of life is that the present hour is not the critical, decisive one.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

4. I wouldn't "intentionally" allow my weapons to be submersed in water, but in an emergency you'd probably be fine, but I would certainly clean and lube it ASAP. If you know you're going to get wet and can prepare, buy a water tight bag from an outfitter, they sell them in all kind of sizes and styles. You might find a good selection here- Water tight bags at REI - FREE SHIPPING With $50 minimum purchase.

REI has stores in a lot of cities so if there is a store similar to this where you live you can handle the bags and see what fits your needs. Get one big enough for cameras, phones, handguns etc.
    You can try Cabelas also.

5. Judgment is the better part of valor.
    The last beach front shoot out I recall was Normandy 1945
    Just because you can, doesn't mean you must or should
    Unless you are a Navy Seal or Army Ranger, lock it in the car.

Quote Originally Posted by wesue4u View Post
    Judgment is the better part of valor.
    The last beach front shoot out I recall was Normandy 1945
    Just because you can, doesn't mean you must or should
    Unless you are a Navy Seal or Army Ranger, lock it in the car.
    So while the OP is out and about, your advice is to disarm him???? What does being a Seal or Ranger have to do with personal self-defense? The OP asked for advice how to stay protected in the outdoors and keep his firearm in good working order in case it does get submerged. You tell him, "you aren't special forces so you deserve to be defenseless"???? Wow!! I hope you never have a reason to protect yourself in situations where you think only special forces should be carrying.

Concerning your idiotic comment about Normandy...ever heard of wild animals? Hmmmm, yeah better not carry my sidearm... it is much better to be attacked.

I smell troll.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

7. On my outdoor adventures I have a higher probability of having to defend myself than where I live. I've had run ins with bear, been face to face with a wolf. So to recommend locking your gun in the car is NOT good advice.

If it gets wet, just disassemble, dry, and lube as soon as practical with any good lube. Most guns only have rust issues when not taken care of. Actually it is not water that causes rust, but an oxygen water combo.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas A. View Post
    I plan on going on a couple of hikes this year and a few of which offer rivers, lake, ponds what have you to go swimming in. Well since I carry anytime I'm legally allowed to and feel as though if I'm in the water leaving my gun on shore would not be wise as to not having direct control over it. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for oil or more so lube for the gun if it gets submerged in water while I'm out in the water or if I decide to go for a swim. I dont plan on using it but I have the mind set of having everything working in its best possible condition so as to limit the chances of any problems. I'm not sure if it matters or not but the gun I have and carry is a Sig Sauer P226
    Hi Nicholas,

Most modern weapons are fine for complete immersion in water to continue function. I say most because some gun manufactures in the world use iron instead of higher quality steel. I would recommend cleaning and lubrication of your firearm at the end of the day before sleep.

HOWEVER, the firearm and water are not the most important issue. Water and your ammo is. While the case seal around the bullet is waterproof, the primer is not. If your ammo is at a temperature higher than the water, then when immersed, the air pressure inside the case will go negative and draw water from around the primer into the powder. This will create a squib load and possibly a blocked barrel.

The solution is nail polish. If you buy a inexpensive Red nail polish and paint the primers, then your rounds will be completely waterproof. Also, the thin layer of nail polish should not affect the firing pin breaking the primer crystal. Your Mileage May Vary. Try 50 painted rounds at the range and see if this works in your pistol.

Anyone agree, disagree, or want to comment on how this advice carbon-dates me to 1973 and Southeast Asia? I have one box of 50 rounds of each type of my ammo with coated primers just for those 'wet' occasions.

If I wanted a firearm that I knew I could trust to fire after being in water, snow, mud or dirt I would trust the proven Colt 1911 45ACP.

11. Wesue4u? Hah! I believe that says it all. Phony troll alert in spades!

I Carry a Glock and, in training, have gone all day with it soaking wet, dropped in grass, gravel, dirt & sand and had my own blood all over it (dumb me). It functioned just fine. It did a whole lot better than I did. :)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast