Gunsmithing as a career

Thread: Gunsmithing as a career

1. Gunsmithing as a career

Does anyone have any recommendations and knowledge on a respectable Gunsmith school (or other way to train, such as an apprenticeship) with a good reputation? Thank you.

Blog Entries
    The NRA has/supports a few: NRA Short-Term Gunsmithing Schools They seem to cater to anyone from hobbyists to possibly careerists but they call them "short-term" so not how detailed they are.
    I've heard good things about the one in Colorado: Gunsmithing Schools - Lakewood - Colorado School of Trades
    Also found this but I'm not sure how good it is: Modern Gun Repair School | Online Gunsmithing Course & Schools Might be nice since it offers online classes.
    The other alternative is if there is a master gunsmith in your area (or nearby) give them a call and see if/where they went to school and wether or not they'd be interested in apprenticing you.
    Good luck. I might just look into some of these myself as a hobby.
    "It is not malicious acts that will do us in but the appalling silence and indifference of good people. All that is needed for evil to run rampant is for good women and men to do nothing." -MLK Jr Current Carry: Ruger SR40c

Theres pennfoster if you want an online class. I took small engine repair through them (for personal usage, not career minded) and they had a lot of information. They even sent a few things (carbs, small tools to work on carbs etc) so you can visually learn and not just read it. Not sure how much that particular program is, but I know they offer it.

Accredited Degrees, Career Diplomas, and High School-Penn Foster

Quote Originally Posted by inspktr View Post
    Does anyone have any recommendations and knowledge on a respectable Gunsmith school (or other way to train, such as an apprenticeship) with a good reputation? Thank you.
    Where are you from? Where are you willing to travel?
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

6. Thanks everyone for the info - wolf_fire - I'm from Sacramento, CA and I'm willing to travel in the Western U.S. but I definitely don't have the money for that right now (which, ironically, is why I'm searching for a career) so I'd prefer something in the Northern Cali area. Thanks.

Ok, then I won't recommend Pennsylvania Gunsmith School: Pittsburgh PA

It's actually world known for its tutelage. ;)

Good luck to you sir.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."

8. Good to know regardless of whether I decide on PGS. Thanks wolf_fire!

No problem. I told my wife if my field ever gets to the point where I'm no longer working in it, that I'm going to that school. For me, it's only 5-10 minutes away. I never really thought about how good it was until I did some research. I was really impressed.

Let us know in the future what you decide and keep us updated with your progress.

10. Lassen CC in Susanville still has a GS program as far as I know . I graduated from there many moons ago . It was a good school then, Bob Dunlap "guy who has done allot of the AGI videos" used to be an instructor there . You will defiantly learn more at a brick and mortar school than the on line stuff