New to handguns - cleaning schedule - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New to handguns - cleaning schedule

Quote Originally Posted by jaydub View Post
    I took my gun out for the first time 2 weeks ago and put 150 rds through it. I cleaned it thoroughly after that and I won't be making 150 rds a regular event, so I was wondering if I do 50 rds per month, do I need to clean it every time or is cleaning based on the number of rounds?

I also see stuff about fingerprints rusting guns, but with a S&W and its coating, is that a big deal if I take it out of the box every few days to practice trigger control?
    Need? After 50 rounds? Probably not need, but always a good idea. I clean all of mine after every firing, no matter how many rounds.
    Si vis pacem para bellum

Both of my pistols are carry guns. I clean them after every shooting and lube them also. I also lightly oil them every other week. Being carry guns I want to be sure they are clean and ready to shoot. Look at it this way, does it do your gun any good to lay around in a dirty condition?
    Also the night before I am going to hit the range I put a little Tetra Gun Grease on the slide rails. While carrying them I use RemOil on the rails which is fine because were I to need to use the gun in self defense I would not be shooting 50 or more rounds. A gun that operates properly is a gun that will take care of you. And cleaning/lube does not take up a lot of time.

4. Great info here... Thanks.

5. I field strip, clean my guns even if I fired only one round. It's one of the reasons I don't like 1911's. It's just good practice, and won't hurt your gun.

I shoot my CCW at least once per month, and I clean and lightly lube it each time. My other guns get it a little less often. I really enjoy stripping and cleaning my guns.

7. So do I, and it's a good habit to have.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Castle View Post
    I shoot my CCW at least once per month, and I clean and lightly lube it each time. My other guns get it a little less often. I really enjoy stripping and cleaning my guns.

8. I loved reading this... After I shoot mine I turn on my music and give her hell cleaning... I don't know how to break down every part of my gun. Just the spring, slide, and barrel...

I'm a newbie here and have found the info provided on this thread very informative. I've purchased a Walther PPS 40 S&W on lay-away and will have possession of the gun by mid-March. In the meantime, I have been reading and absorbing a lot as well as signing up for some classes at my local gun club. On the subject of when and how often one should clean/lube a firearm I have one question I have not seen anyone ask or have addressed. The question is multi-faceted and is when, how, and how often should someone clean/disassemble the magazine of a semi-automatic, or is it even necessary at all. TIA for any and all responses to this query.
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people’s liberty teeth and keystone under independence.” – George Washington

10. The only time I disassembled my magazines is when they were brand new. I removed the spring and put a very light coat of oil on the inside. I'm not sure if it is recommended, but I hate the thought of anything metallic rubbing against another metal object without some form of applied lubricant.

Sent from my iPhone using USA Carry

11. Quote Originally Posted by lblainh View Post
    The only time I disassembled my magazines is when they were brand new. I removed the spring and put a very light coat of oil on the inside. I'm not sure if it is recommended, but I hate the thought of anything metallic rubbing against another metal object without some form of applied lubricant.

Sent from my iPhone using USA Carry
    Oil on the mag spring attracts dirt and grime and will shorten the life of the spring.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast