New to handguns - cleaning schedule
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New to handguns - cleaning schedule

New to handguns - cleaning schedule

I took my gun out for the first time 2 weeks ago and put 150 rds through it. I cleaned it thoroughly after that and I won't be making 150 rds a regular event, so I was wondering if I do 50 rds per month, do I need to clean it every time or is cleaning based on the number of rounds?

I also see stuff about fingerprints rusting guns, but with a S&W and its coating, is that a big deal if I take it out of the box every few days to practice trigger control?
    Current status: getting personal instruction from a friend before CCL - still no holster, biometric vaults in-home, or full-size mag
    Gun: S&W M&P 9c

Quote Originally Posted by jaydub View Post
    I took my gun out for the first time 2 weeks ago and put 150 rds through it. I cleaned it thoroughly after that and I won't be making 150 rds a regular event, so I was wondering if I do 50 rds per month, do I need to clean it every time or is cleaning based on the number of rounds?

I also see stuff about fingerprints rusting guns, but with a S&W and its coating, is that a big deal if I take it out of the box every few days to practice trigger control?
    Its always a good idea to clean your weapon after each use.

4. I field strip and clean mine after every use regardless of amount fired.
    Regarding cleaning after handling I would just run a lightly oiled cloth over it.

Depending on your storage conditions I would recommend a full cleaning every 2-3 months even if they haven't been used.

I clean mine every time, but then mine are new and I use frog lube, which will season in to them and help protect them from dirt, water, etc. The more I use it the better they'll get. Plus it smells like mint instead of oil!
    Modern Whig
    "Government is not meant to burden Liberty but rather to secure it." -T.J. O'Hara

Thanks, guys!
    Current status: getting personal instruction from a friend before CCL - still no holster, biometric vaults in-home, or full-size mag
    Gun: S&W M&P 9c

My glocks get cleaned every other month, whether they need it or not I take my bath, I clean my guns
    Typos are for the entertainment of the reader. Don't let it go to your head!

I clean my every time I use it. Never had a failure of any kind with it.
    Vietnam Veteran 1966 - 1970 USASA
    Bersa Thunder 9 HC Pro - I've never had a failure of any kind with it.
    Politicians should be limited to 2 terms - One in office and one in prison.

Quote Originally Posted by jaydub View Post

If you're only going to shoot it once a month than yes, I'd recommend cleaning it every time. It's not great to let carbon fouling sit around on the gun for months at a time. I only clean my guns once a month because most of them I shoot fairly often. The only guns I clean immediately after shooting are my carry gun and any gun that's going to sit in the safe for a while.

Helpful advice and admonishments for me too since I've grown lazy lately. I shot my carry Kimber weeks ago at a Dave Spaulding class and I am now finally motivated to clean the forsaken 1911.

Thanks!

FX
    Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks.
    Thomas Jefferson

You will never hurt a firearm by cleaning it. You may hurt a firearm with excessive oiling. Too much oil on some guns gums up the works. Not enough cleaning can also gum up the works.

Have I gone 800 rds without cleaning my Glock. Yes. Did I get any failures? No. Do I recommend making this a practice? No.

If you have a weapon, especially a steel weapon that can rust, it is good to run a lightly oiled cloth over it. This does two things, it removes lint and dust, and it protects the finish.

Depending how you carry can also be an issue. Some methods of carry actually cause moisture on your firearm. Some methods cause excessive lint.

Be aware of your firearm and inspect it regularly.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast