How To Become A Gunsmith? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How To Become A Gunsmith?

Gunsmith degree

I looked into it also and wondered the same. I think it's a scam or just downright shady.

Surfcc

3. How to become a gunsmith

There are several correspondence schools that offer, among their other courses, gunsmithing. I started with one and was impressed. The tools and books came from Brownell's, and had it not been for a death in the family, I would have continued with it. What I had started with, along with some books on disaasembly and assembly, and some books written by people who know what they are talking about, I built up a pretty good set of skills to do my own work. Saves me a whole bunch of money, I'll tell you.
    A man without a gun is a subject; a man with a gun is a citizen.
    I'll keep my freedom, my guns and my money. You can keep THE CHANGE.
    An armed society is a polite society.

gpbarth Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by wuzfuz View Post
    There are several correspondence schools that offer, among their other courses, gunsmithing. I started with one and was impressed. The tools and books came from Brownell's, and had it not been for a death in the family, I would have continued with it. What I had started with, along with some books on disaasembly and assembly, and some books written by people who know what they are talking about, I built up a pretty good set of skills to do my own work. Saves me a whole bunch of money, I'll tell you.
    Which school were you enrolled in? If I could find a reputable correspondence school, I'd probably go for it, as there are not a lot of gunsmiths in my area. I know because I have been trying to find someone local to do a trigger job on my XD-40, and have repeately struck out. And it's something that you can do out of your garage, although to obtain an FFL license, you need certain extra qualifications.

How's the email lessons?

Quote Originally Posted by lukem View Post
    I signed up for the free email lessons to see how those are first. Thanks for the link.
    Luke,

So how are the email lessons? Was it a spam job or advertisement ploy or the real thing?

Quote Originally Posted by gpbarth View Post
    And it's something that you can do out of your garage, although to obtain an FFL license, you need certain extra qualifications.
    Which FFL license type requires extra qualification for gunsmiths?

The best school you could go to would be to work with a local gunsmith. Then you would get real world experience. Other than that you could do a local machinist course.

Quote Originally Posted by melloyello View Post
    Luke,

So how are the email lessons? Was it a spam job or advertisement ploy or the real thing?
    I honestly never had the time to look into them anymore so I really can't answer that accurately.

Memberships: NRA, GOA, USCCA
    Guns: Glock 26, Ruger LCP, Beretta 90-Two .40, Beretta PX4 Storm Subcompact 9MM, Beretta Tomcat, Bushmaster Patrolman M4

I am currently ernrolled in Penn Foster and i did a lot of research and it was the only legit one i really found and they have really good materials.

There used to be a couple of the best gunsmith schools in CO. One at a two year collage in Trinidad. trinidadstate.edu and the following.

Gunsmith School | Lakewood | Colorado School of Trades
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12