How To Become A Gunsmith?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How To Become A Gunsmith?

How To Become A Gunsmith?

How would you go about becoming a gunsmith? Are there classes at colleges you can take for this? I found this website but honestly don't see how ordering something online is going to teach me how to become a gunsmith.

Get Your GUNSMITH License TODAY!

I don't want to do it as a living but I'd like to learn how to do work on my guns myself.

Memberships: NRA, GOA, USCCA
    Guns: Glock 26, Ruger LCP, Beretta 90-Two .40, Beretta PX4 Storm Subcompact 9MM, Beretta Tomcat, Bushmaster Patrolman M4

wolfhunter Guest
    Try starting here:
    NRA Gunsmithing Schools

Thanks. None of those have any more classes listed for this year or next year. Would be nice if a community college around here had this stuff but I doubt it.

Guns: Glock 26, Ruger LCP, Beretta 90-Two .40, Beretta PX4 Storm Subcompact 9MM, Beretta Tomcat, Bushmaster Patrolman M4

wolfhunter Guest
    Luke,
    I often get mailers from these folks. The course descriptions seem like they'd be courses, and they are weapon-type specific (e.g. 1911, AR, AK,Browning HP, Revolvers, Bolt actions, etc.) I just haven't freed up both the time and cash at the same time.
    Gunsmith DVD | Gunsmithing Schools | Gunsmith Course

School

Luke, I looked for my son. None around here. I just trashed the brochures of the schools I found.
    http://www.montgomery.cc.nc.us/gunsm...nsmithing.html Closet I found.

You could go to one of the shops and maybe apprentice.
    Train up a child in the way he should go and when he is old he will not depart from it Prov 22:16 NKJV

Thanks. Traveling isn't much of an option right now either.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfhunter View Post
    Luke,
    I often get mailers from these folks. The course descriptions seem like they'd be courses, and they are weapon-type specific (e.g. 1911, AR, AK,Browning HP, Revolvers, Bolt actions, etc.) I just haven't freed up both the time and cash at the same time.
    Gunsmith DVD | Gunsmithing Schools | Gunsmith Course
    I signed up for the free email lessons to see how those are first. Thanks for the link.

Smile Gunsmithing schools

I live in southeastern Oklahoma, There is a community college in Tishomingo, Ok that offers a associate degree in gunsmithing. The name of the college is Murry State College in Tishomingo Oklahoma. I don't know if they have any correspondence classes or not. Might google the college web site and see if they have anything like that or not. goodluck.

wolfhunter Guest
    Murray was listed in the NRA site

gpbarth Guest
    I'd love it if someone (else) could report on this school. After checking out several different Web sites which all seem to be connected (Google "FFL" and you'll find the same company with a different site), it looks like a scam to me. How does one go about getting a certification for gunsmithing on-line, especially so cheap, and how does one also get the paperwork to get an FFL certificate from the government on-line?

And so quickly, too. A few weeks to a couple of months? It sounds like the "college degree" or "become a minister today" scams.

Also notice how they call themselves "Phoenix State University," very close to the University of Phoenix, which does a very legitimate on-line college curriculum. Can you really become a gunsmith on-line, and obtain your FFL, too? Inquiring minds want to know.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast