Blue..am I

Thread: Blue..am I

boyzoi Guest

Question Blue..am I

thinking of doing a little bluing on a pistol. Does anyone have any experience with the DIY kits? are they affective, ease of use, cost??

Quote Originally Posted by boyzoi View Post
    thinking of doing a little bluing on a pistol. Does anyone have any experience with the DIY kits? are they affective, ease of use, cost??
    Yep I've touched up several rifles and pistols using the touch up cold bluing. Here is the process I've used that seems to work well.

First of all use gloves to keep your hand oils off the gun.
    Then I use the cleaner/degreaser to make sure the part is completely clean of all oils, dirt, ect.
    Rinse the part in cold water and dry completely
    Then I heat the piece with a hair dryer on the hot setting. This seems to help you get a deeper more even coat.
    Then use a cotton ball or cleaning patch and whip on the bluing agent.
    After that wipe any excess off with a clean patch to even out the coat.
    Then rinse again in cold water and dry completely.
    I then put a thin coat of gun oil over the entire piece.

You can also LIGHTLY buff with a very fine steel wool if you need to even out any spots.

This process has work very well for me on several pieces. Hope it helps and if you have any questions feel free to IM me.
    "When Government fears the people, it's liberty. When people fear the Government, it's tyranny."
    - Benjamin Franklin

boyzoi Guest
    Thanks Kimber.......
    are there any all inclusive kits youve used, or are you just buying a seperate bottle blueing etc?

I've had good luck with Birchwood Casey products. I bought a bottle of the bluing and a bottle of the degreaser but I have seen kits that come with everything.

MidwayUSA - Birchwood Casey Perma Blue Cold Blue Kit

Must gun shops and I think I've even seen it at Walmart
    "When Government fears the people, it's liberty. When people fear the Government, it's tyranny."
    - Benjamin Franklin

I used it on this project. just to give you an idea of how it looks.

http://www.usacarry.com/forums/handg...-357-done.html
    - Benjamin Franklin

I have had amazing luck with BlueWonder.. its seriously good stuff and wears like hot blue.

Same procedures as Kimber descried.. but the stuff blends perfect and does not wear off anywhere near as easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Iridium View Post
    I have had amazing luck with BlueWonder.. its seriously good stuff and wears like hot blue.

Same procedures as Kimber descried.. but the stuff blends perfect and does not wear off anywhere near as easy.

Never tried that stuff. I'll have to pick up a bottle and try it out. Thanks Iridium
    - Benjamin Franklin

boyzoi Guest
    Checked wiht a local smith, he of course wanted me to bring the gun in for him to do, but if I just had to do it myself then he suggested the Blue Wonder.
    Think I'm going to give that a shot ( no pun ) and see how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by boyzoi View Post
    Checked wiht a local smith, he of course wanted me to bring the gun in for him to do, but if I just had to do it myself then he suggested the Blue Wonder.
    Think I'm going to give that a shot ( no pun ) and see how it goes.
    Post up some pics after you get it finished up.
    - Benjamin Franklin

11. Blue.. am I

Kimber, beautiful job on the Dan Wesson. I have had three of them, but they were all electroless nickel, but the blue looks good, too.
    A man without a gun is a subject; a man with a gun is a citizen.
    I'll keep my freedom, my guns and my money. You can keep THE CHANGE.
    An armed society is a polite society.