Storing loaded clips - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Storing loaded clips

[QUOTE=Glock Fan;89551]By definition, a "clip" doesn't have a spring. The term you're looking for is "magazine". With that said,

Don't worry Jeff, we knew what you meant.

I posed the same question to an armorer and was told that all springs, including the ones in spring fed magazines should not need changing under "normal" usage. Define Normal. But all springs are maintenance items and need to be checked when you clean your weapon. Use a magnifying glass or a real young set of eyes and look for signs of stress and cracking. I had to replace a magazine spring in one of my magazine after it developed what looked like fractures in the material where it made a tight 90 degree bend at the follower attachment point.

It's all part of maintenance. Even weapons kept in storage need to come out and get a good 'goin over' on a periodic basis.

3. I've always left mine fully loaded, keeping some extra in the car, with no problems. Interesting thread.

Be careful not to practice your tacticalness in front of others to be seen by them. If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in heaven. So when you carry a concealed handgun, do not announce it with trumpets and CCW Badges, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be honored as sheepdogs and mall ninjas. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. But when you carry a concealed handgun, do not let your attire indicate what you are doing, so that your carrying a handgun may be in secret. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you by helping you develop increased situational awareness and a tactical mindset.

And when you post on the internet, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to refer to magazines as clips because they think it sounds gangsta. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. But when you post on the internet, first do a Google search for a good glosary of firearms terms. Learn these terms and use them correctly. Then other gunowners, who see what you have done, will reward you with useful information on firearms.

Quote Originally Posted by MADnMO View Post
    Most after market magazines for the 10/22 are not worth a damn. I have tried Butler Creek, Shooters Ridge, Eagle etc...

The only decent one I have found is made by Tactical Innovations.
    Ruger makes there own 25 rd mags now

I have never encountered "weak" springs from a loaded magazine; however, I have always (well, since Army tank school, anyway...) unloaded my mags every few weeks and then reloaded them after my hands/fingers have recovered... I even unload my 870 tube. Biggest reason is I like the feel of rounds, mags, shells in my hands - along with the noise they make going back in their rightful places!

7. Clips are for your hair and storing loaded magazines will not weaken the spring. Constant unloading and loading will eventually weaken the spring but that's probably going to be a problem for your grand children if you keep your magazines clean and use a good dry ube on them. That is all.
    "Guns are for defending your life not for defending your pride."

Quote Originally Posted by Blooze View Post
    Clips are for your hair and storing loaded magazines will not weaken the spring. Constant unloading and loading will eventually weaken the spring but that's probably going to be a problem for your grand children if you keep your magazines clean and use a good dry ube on them. That is all.
    How did you even find this thread from 2009? But it's all good, no offense intended. It's a fairly common question and I have asked it myself when I got into guns.

9. While I haven't had my weapons long enough for the magazine followers/springs to be worn or damaged, Everytime I go out, I remove the hollowpoints that are in the 10 round mag, shoot as much as I have ammo for (who has enuff these days?) and then make sure I have enough rounds to reload everything. When the current "crisis" declines on the availability/cost of JHP's, then I'll go thru that ammo as well. That said, I remember seeing M-16 mags while in the AF that were dated in the 60's still going strong. Just my .02.

Clint

I wish I could get the springs in my CZ magazines to relax even a little. They are really hard to fully load. I try to keep them with the full cartridge load of 12.
    ...SCOTUS says we're right...You don't like it. I'm sorry you don't like it. I guess that's a problem for you. Some people don't like gays. Some don't like alcohol. Some don't like meat. ~michaelzwilliamson

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123