Advice on "pushing"
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Advice on "pushing"

1. Advice on "pushing"

Hey guys,

I've done some range work recently and loaded up some snap caps. WOW! I was flinching pretty bad. Any tips/suggestions on correcting this other than just focusing on trigger pull?
    Quick to the gun, Sure of your grip. Quick to the threat, sure of your shot. - Chris Costa

Quote Originally Posted by ClearSightTactical View Post
    Hey guys,

I've done some range work recently and loaded up some snap caps. WOW! I was flinching pretty bad. Any tips/suggestions on correcting this other than just focusing on trigger pull?

Concentrate on "trigger squeeze" rather than "trigger pull". You want to put even pressure on the trigger until it breaks. The actual "click" should be a surprise. You know it's gonna go off, but don't know the exact moment. Check the placement of your trigger finger on the trigger. You should be squeezing the trigger with the tip of your finger, approx. 1/2 way between the tip and your first joint.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

4. Thanks, i'll put some thought as to finger placement. I never really had a problem shooting but I have always shot a bit low. I'm assuming that anticipating has something to do with that. Strange, I can get better advice online than in person with an instructor..? (I do realize you're an instructor GF)

"Consider putting a 3.5lb trigger on it" was the local guys opinion...didn't want to fix the problem on this one particular handgun...but rather cure the problem so I don't have to mod out all of my pistols.
    Quick to the gun, Sure of your grip. Quick to the threat, sure of your shot. - Chris Costa

Quote Originally Posted by Glock Fan View Post
    Concentrate on "trigger squeeze" rather than "trigger pull". You want to put even pressure on the trigger until it breaks. The actual "click" should be a surprise. You know it's gonna go off, but don't know the exact moment. Check the placement of your trigger finger on the trigger. You should be squeezing the trigger with the tip of your finger, approx. 1/2 way between the tip and your first joint.

gf
    +1... I found what made the biggest difference for me is how much trigger finger I used. By using just you finger tip you'll be less likely to push or pull shots. After that just like Glock Fan said it's all about the "squeeze".
    "When Government fears the people, it's liberty. When people fear the Government, it's tyranny."
    - Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by ClearSightTactical View Post
    Thanks, i'll put some thought as to finger placement. I never really had a problem shooting but I have always shot a bit low. I'm assuming that anticipating has something to do with that. Strange, I can get better advice online than in person with an instructor..? (I do realize you're an instructor GF)

"Consider putting a 3.5lb trigger on it" was the local guys opinion...didn't want to fix the problem on this one particular handgun...but rather cure the problem so I don't have to mod out all of my pistols.
    I personally would work on fixing the technique that's causing the issue instead of modifying the gun to mask it.

If I had to guess I would say that you are anticipating the recoil and like a lot of people start to lean forward to compensate the recoil. This would cause you to shoot low.

Next time you go to the range take a buddy and some of those snap caps. Have your buddy load your mag randomly adding a snap cap. You'll have no idea if it's going to be a live round or a dummy. When you come across the dummy you and your buddy will be able to tell if your pulling, leaning into, pushing, ect. You'll goal is to here a click without the gun moving.

Hope this helps...
    "When Government fears the people, it's liberty. When people fear the Government, it's tyranny."
    - Benjamin Franklin

7. Thanks for all the great suggestions. I'll be going to the range on Friday afternoon or evening (just joined a 24/7 pistol club with full access to range!) and i'll post some pics of the target...

Another thing to consider is uniform grip. After the firing sequence, only release the trigger just enough to reset the action, then squeeze again. This helps immensely to keep your grip the same for every consecutive shot.

With my flinching, the easiest way I cured it was with my Ruger GP-100 loaded with full power .357 magnums. I know there is going to be recoil no matter what, so I concentrate on relaxing my mind for every shot fired. After about 100 rounds, it will become natural to just relax while shooting and enjoy it! Don't get an ego about it, just line up your sights and squeeze the trigger. Let the gun do the rest for you, and enjoy making holes!
    Gun control: Forcing a 95lb woman to fist fight a 300lb rapist

See if the range sells special targets that diagnose shooting errors. The target is sectioned off where based on shot placement can give you a good idea of what you may be doing wrong. The targets come in "left hand shooter" and "right hand shooter". Be sure to purchase the rignt one.

I agree with Kimber. Get your fundamentals down before modifying any of your equipment. A 3.5 lb trigger is good for the range and competition, but extremely light for a SD firearm. The two basics that cause beginning shooters to mess up are "sight alignment" and "trigger squeeze".

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

check this out. It may help some:

http://www.targetshooting.ca/docs/Pi...t_Analysis.pdf
    - Benjamin Franklin

11. Awesome info guys! I carry a weapon on duty so its not an ego thing, a staying alive thing lol. I'm confident enough to carry, and the "bad guy" targets get torn up pretty good, but on the 8" target its depressing being on the 8point line lol

KimberPB- That is awesome!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast