practice distance for beginner - Page 4
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: practice distance for beginner

JSDinTexas Guest
    I concentrate more on the pattern of shots than distance. The pattern tells me things like if I am pushing, jerking, anticipating recoil, and so on. Look at the pattern of, say, 10 shots at various distances.
    Actually I don't anticipate recoil anymore, so scratch that one.

Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    mmmmm....15 meters is almost 49.5 feet...
    Yeah, of course I realized that belatedly. The vast majority of the time, we do train at the lesser ranges alto the skills testing does include shooting at 15 m, excuse me, 49.5 foot range (seems some guys on the thread don't like metrics...me, I'm smooth and debonair, you know, like Europeans. )
    Prov. 27:3 - "Stone is heavy and sand a burden, but provocation by a fool is heavier than both"

i say 10 to 15 feet

Quote Originally Posted by titaniumman View Post
    I recently got my ccw permit and I am new to pistol shooting. What is a good distance to start off for practice target shooting. I shot my new G19 over the weekend and was less than impressed with my skills . Let me add that my target was about 50 feet away, 10" in dia...too far?
    3, 7 and 10 yards.
    Ed
    "The tree of Liberty needs to be watered from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson 3rd president of US (1743 - 1826)

Uh........seeings the OP was asking about practicing on a target and what distance would be good. Lets see.............MOST gun altercations happen within 3-5 yrds. GEE, that about sums it up for me. In most circumstances, shooting past 7 yrds could be considered not defense but offensive. Which a group of peers could say you are the aggressor. BIG can of worms there!
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." --author and philosopher Ayn Rand (1905-1982)

Remember, 21ft is the magic number.

A man with a knife, at 21 ft, can get to you before you can draw!
    Ed
    "The tree of Liberty needs to be watered from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson 3rd president of US (1743 - 1826)

Quote Originally Posted by Edsworld View Post
    Remember, 21ft is the magic number.

A man with a knife, at 21 ft, can get to you before you can draw!
    21ft = 7 yrds = 1.5 seconds (per FBI statistics). Yep...definitely may need to fire further distances...

9. Wink

Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    21ft = 7 yrds = 1.5 seconds (per FBI statistics). Yep...definitely may need to fire further distances...
    How far is that in meters??

As the treat gets closer the target gets larger, distance shouldn't matter. Whoever sends the most ordnance down range fastest wins.
    You can run... but you'll just die tired. 3%

11. Quote Originally Posted by OldOwl View Post
    As the treat gets closer the target gets larger, distance shouldn't matter. Whoever sends the most ordnance down range fastest wins.
    As long as you are hitting what you are aiming at.

If you are missing, all you are doing is making noise.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast