practice distance for beginner - Page 6
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: practice distance for beginner

1. All the tactical training in the world isn't worth anything if you can't get the gun sitting in your hand the same way every time and you can't pull the trigger without jerking, flinching, milking or generally screwing it up. Face it, most misses are operator error not ammunition, gun or equipment related. The initial post states clearly that he was a novice that was just starting out shooting pistols. That's why I suggested (in detail) that he master the basics of grip and trigger press (as verified by a big paper target up close initially and then farther away as progress is made) before he tried shooting rapid fire, multiple targets, instinctive shooting or shooting on the move. Toting a gun when you can't shoot straight makes as much sense to me as buying a Ferrari when you can't drive a stick. Yeah, it looks cool but what are you gonna do with it? You learn to crawl, then stand, then walk, then run. Shooting is the same way. You have to learn to hold the gun and pull the trigger in a consistent manner before you start shooting at speed or without using sights if you want to do more than spray and pray. You can't run a marathon if you don't know how to stand up yet and you can't expect any sort of success running and gunning (whether it is competition or gun fighting) if you don't have the fundamentals of shooting down pat. It isn't about 'fighting like you train' because he hadn't advanced to the 'training' part yet. Misses don't do anything but make noise and endanger innocent bystanders in a self defense situation. Hits are all that count. If you hit first and make it count by hitting where you need to, you win. If you miss, you lose.

Quote Originally Posted by jtg452 View Post
    All the tactical training in the world isn't worth anything if you can't get the gun sitting in your hand the same way every time and you can't pull the trigger without jerking, flinching, milking or generally screwing it up. Face it, most misses are operator error not ammunition, gun or equipment related. The initial post states clearly that he was a novice that was just starting out shooting pistols. That's why I suggested (in detail) that he master the basics of grip and trigger press (as verified by a big paper target up close initially and then farther away as progress is made) before he tried shooting rapid fire, multiple targets, instinctive shooting or shooting on the move. Toting a gun when you can't shoot straight makes as much sense to me as buying a Ferrari when you can't drive a stick. Yeah, it looks cool but what are you gonna do with it? You learn to crawl, then stand, then walk, then run. Shooting is the same way. You have to learn to hold the gun and pull the trigger in a consistent manner before you start shooting at speed or without using sights if you want to do more than spray and pray. You can't run a marathon if you don't know how to stand up yet and you can't expect any sort of success running and gunning (whether it is competition or gun fighting) if you don't have the fundamentals of shooting down pat. It isn't about 'fighting like you train' because he hadn't advanced to the 'training' part yet. Misses don't do anything but make noise and endanger innocent bystanders in a self defense situation. Hits are all that count. If you hit first and make it count by hitting where you need to, you win. If you miss, you lose.
    +1 - Qualify to get your license. (I saw the original thread started in NY) However many states have some similar avenues for success. In MO (CCW1) then practice to get to a point you can hit your target. Slow is accurate, accurate is fast, =Slow is fast!. (Paying for a lesson from a professional is not a wennie thing to do.) Work 5 feet, 10 out to 20 ft. Then consider CCW2 - Call it beginners training. - Practice more. Then move to some other training. IDPA is a huge amount of fun and you can learn some very good skills.

Psalm 82:3-5

Don Lahay

Quote Originally Posted by titaniumman View Post
    I recently got my ccw permit and I am new to pistol shooting. What is a good distance to start off for practice target shooting. I shot my new G19 over the weekend and was less than impressed with my skills . Let me add that my target was about 50 feet away, 10" in dia...too far?
    I would suggest starting @ 10', But Remember, Focus on the "Front Sight" of your preferred Handgun....!!!
    Alot of people Don't Focus on the Front Sight & Don't get a good enough "Sight Picture"....!!! Also, as someone previously pointed out, Make sure you Always "Squeeze the Trigger, Especially on any Glocks, as they have the so called "Dbl. Trigger"....!
    And don't squeeze too tightly on your Grip when you're Shooting.
    Try these few tips & I'll bet you will be Impressed with the results. ...!!
    And, as always, try to make your time @ the Range, enjoyable. ..!! Make some Games out of it, once your getting good "Groupings @ your starting distance, then move back about 3 [email protected] a time, until you get your profeciecy better....!!!!
    Happy Target Shooting. ......

5. I agree with most everything I have read. In addition. I track a few videos where an average joe uses his CCW to protect himself. Not Brazilians. Not off duty police officers. Just John Q. Public. To my surprise a little the data shows me that 100% of the ones I have tracked. The good guy has only used only one hand to shoot. He was moving as well as the bad guy. And not once used his sites. So I practice that way now. Just my two cents.

Sent from my iPhone using USA Carry

6. If you canít hit a sheet of paper with a g19 @100y youíre screwed

Sent from my iPhone using USA Carry

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456