CCW Person-How Ready Are You To Take Action - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: CCW Person-How Ready Are You To Take Action

I have agree with most of the people on here but there are a few things that I disagree with.
    1. The first rule is not move but don't get in a gun fight. The second rule is if you get in a gun fight survive.
    2. LEOs are not sheepdogs. They are the clean up crew ( and I am not bad mouthing LEOs). The ways the laws are written and department policies they can only respond.
    NRA CRSO and Instructor: Certified Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Certified Home Firearm Safety, Refuse to Be a Victim
    SABRE Civilian Safety Awareness Program Instructor

3. Quote Originally Posted by LGH View Post
    I have agree with most of the people on here but there are a few things that I disagree with.
    1. The first rule is not move but don't get in a gun fight. The second rule is if you get in a gun fight survive.
    2. LEOs are not sheepdogs. They are the clean up crew ( and I am not bad mouthing LEOs). The ways the laws are written and department policies they can only respond.
    There's always a million variables to throw into a scenario to support our choices.

Your first rule is good but just not sound, you may be in a gun fight without choice, your second rule justifies the first rule of engagement, MOVE... moving will increase survival, standing fast and drawing/reaching for your weapon increases your odds of injury/wounded/killed. Don't be a TARGET.

I agree with you... stay out of gun fights.

Survival Tactics will always depend on who...what...where...when... an encounter happens. A great tactic in one scenario may not be a great tactic in another.

Don't depend on the police to save your life or defend your life, but always call 911 first when ever you can, i always tell police officers to call back when encountering a threat (open door,broken window, group threats and so on) whenever possible... Do Not have TOMBSTONE COURAGE, the same rule applies with civilians.

There's a million Variables that don't make such actions possible, but knowing when or when not to take such actions/tactics is what you learn by training. There's always a tactical response to all scenarios to increase survival. Good Luck.

Where in the world did the idea come from that only the police are sheep dogs? Anyone that has decided to not be a victim or not see innocent victims slaughtered and chosen to arm themselves are sheepdogs. I have spent a few years in law enforcement in my younger years. I did not become any less a sheepdog when I changed jobs.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

"He who retreats lives to fight another day." I agree with everyone else, unless I'm directly involved (myself, my family, close friends) I'm hiding and calling the cops.

6. Quote Originally Posted by dps782 View Post
    A Reply to the questions:

If your in a calm/norm area, and someone banishes a weapon without the immediate treat to shoot, how would you react, or, what if that aggressor shoots at someone, what would you do.
    *It is not my job. I would take cover until my life or family member is in danger.

Do you have more training other than target practice at the gun shop/range, how much training do you feel a person needs. Protecting your home is one thing, but taking action in public is another.
    *I have no additional training other than routine practice. In public it is not my job. I would take cover until my life or family member is in danger.

If some pulls a weapon or shoots (not at you) within a 20 yard radius of you, what would you do, how would you react. (your by yourself)
    *20 yards is a long way away, it is not my job. I would take cover until my life or family member is in danger.

Opinion:
    Reaction should not be to shoot. Instead retreat should be first in the thoughts of any CCL person. The liability that comes with pulling the trigger demands it. You had better be able to put into words why you chose to stop a person with deadly force and be assured, it will be a costly decision either way. $$$$$
    Safe retreat is what I have been teaching my wife in the event of a situation if at all possible. You won't get any awards for being a hero and making an intervention, only liability as mentioned above. Ayoob says it rightly, only in the gravest extreme.

Red face CCW Person-How Ready Are You To Take Action

I'm terribly sorry, but unless a member of my family, or myself are threatened my weapon stays holstered and I would duck and cover and call 911. Now if the BG/BG's are shooting at my family, or myself... that is a different story altogether. I would then attempt to feed them as many .45's as my pistol holds (10+1) plus my spare magazine, if needed. I'm not a coward, but I'm not a Hero either...
    MSgt, USAF (ret), Life Member - NRA, Life Member - NAHC,
    Life Member - NCOA, Member - USCCA, Member - NCGR,
    Member - Oathkeepers

I remember when I was with the sheriff Office in the 70's. We got this punk in that had killed an 18 year old girl that was working in a convenience store. He had robbed the store and then after getting the money, while she was on her knees begging for her life he blew her away with a shotgun. If I was in a store or anywhere and was armed would I intervene in a case like that. Absolutely. There is no way I could stand by and do nothing if I have the opportunity to help. I have seen to many cases where some scum bag got away literally with murder because no one was willing to help.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

9. Quote Originally Posted by HK4U View Post
    I remember when I was with the sheriff Office in the 70's. We got this punk in that had killed an 18 year old girl that was working in a convenience store. He had robbed the store and then after getting the money, while she was on her knees begging for her life he blew her away with a shotgun. If I was in a store or anywhere and was armed would I intervene in a case like that. Absolutely. There is no way I could stand by and do nothing if I have the opportunity to help. I have seen to many cases where some scum bag got away literally with murder because no one was willing to help.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)
    Dear HK,

Difficult situations for sure, hope never to be in one like that. The law certainly supports such a right to defend yourself or others in that situation, but that would fall within what I consider the gravest extreme. On the other hand, the majority of hold ups do not result in death. How do you tell the difference between a robbery or one that will go bad to murder as well? Remember though that if you don't stop immediately with a mid brain shot someone pointing gun or shot gun at a person is going to pull that trigger by involuntary movements if you don't have a brain shot. I don't think I am that kind of a marksman to do that. This makes the equation even more complex. Couple that with the autonomic surge of adrenalin that takes over the nervous system, it may not be possible to intervene before the bad guy pulls the trigger anyway. It is not a simple scenario at all. In the end, using the guns we carry should only be in the gravest extreme, Ayoob has said it so well already.

I have been in either the military or LE my entire adult life. I guess that makes me more inclined to intervene to save another life if they are put in danger. I do not go out looking for trouble and pray that I never run into anything, but if the need arises to save someone’s life and you have the means to do it – why wouldn’t you?

What if that was your loved one is the one in danger, would you want someone with the means, training, and opportunity to save their life saying it’s not my responsibility. There is a huge difference between property loss and the loss of life. Money and objects can be replaced, but you cannot bring back your wife, husband, son, daughter, or other family member that has been taken from you by some low life POS.

I am speaking from experience. My aunt and uncle were murdered in April in the “safety” of their home. There are bad people out there that have no concern for another’s life. If you carry a weapon and can prevent someone the pain of having to bury a loved one, why wouldn’t you intervene?

I take the opportunity to train anytime I can. Many people at work think I am crazy for taking my own time and money to take advanced training courses. Being a firearms and DT Instructor, I think I owe it to myself and those I teach to continually learn and be the best instructor I can be. We live in an ever changing world and we owe it to ourselves to be prepared to handle anything we will encounter.

Sheepdog" is a term used by people who posses both a concealed carry permit and delusions of grandeur and who believe that their permit came W/ a bat cape.

IMO the whole sheepdog myth is nothing more than CHP elitism. It's a way for CHP holders to aggrandize themselves and pretend that their CHP gives them some type of police authority.

I am not a sheep dog

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast